Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: toasty flavor  (Read 6893 times)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
toasty flavor
« on: December 22, 2011, 08:36:24 pm »
I don't know if anybody here has tried a Tall Grass Buffalo Sweat. For those who have, what grain produces that toasty type flavor it has?
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: toasty flavor
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 10:32:58 am »
Just a guess: Pale chocolate. That is a malt that gives a nice toasty flavor.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 11:14:17 am »
From the brewery website....

"What we really like about this beer is the smoothness that brewing with cream sugar brings to the palate. This smoothness balances out the copious quantities of roasted barley used in the brewing process to create a rich, complex, and delicious beer. If you have not been a stout drinker in the past, give this beer a try. It might just change your mind about how dark beers should taste. It tastes so rich, but is surprisingly easy to drink!"

Cream sugar??
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline eltharyon

• Cellarman
    • Barefoot Lion Brewing
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 11:46:50 am »
I love the taste brown malt gives.  It tastes like a toasted bagel.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 12:08:28 pm »
Cream sugar- would that be lactose?

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 12:16:30 pm »
Cream sugar- would that be lactose?

That's the only thing I can think of.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 02:12:55 pm »
From the brewery website....

"What we really like about this beer is the smoothness that brewing with cream sugar brings to the palate. This smoothness balances out the copious quantities of roasted barley used in the brewing process to create a rich, complex, and delicious beer. If you have not been a stout drinker in the past, give this beer a try. It might just change your mind about how dark beers should taste. It tastes so rich, but is surprisingly easy to drink!"

Cream sugar??

I would have to say the copius amount of roasted barley. Which leads to the question how much would I want to try to start to keep from overdoing?
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 02:14:50 pm »
I love the taste brown malt gives.  It tastes like a toasted bagel.

That's kinda the flavor I am looking for.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

wildknight

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 04:40:49 am »
I second the brown malt.  Chewing on the grain reminds me of a piece of toast: not lightly toasted, but not yet burnt either. 

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 06:49:07 am »
Brown malt is a good choice. But I highly recommend the pale chocolate as well. This is one of Jamil's "secret" malts for adding depth and toastiness to a beer.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 07:49:33 pm »
Special roast gives a nice toasty flavor, too, and a large portion of Vienna malt produces a slightly toasty flavor, IMO.

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 07:50:24 pm »
I like pale chocolate a lot, it lends a distinct coffee flavor with other dark grains.  I've got some brown and coffee but I still prefer the pale chocolate out of all.  I don't drink near as much anymore and my water almost dictates dark beers without fussing with the minerals.  My nephew actually paid me a compliment... he said my beer was as good as SA's Cream Stout.  I have to admit though... I prefer Left Hand Brewing's Cream Stout... what a brew that one is!!!  I don't use lactose or haven't yet but I think I need to give it a try.

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 08:22:15 am »
Thankyou for your responses. I am putting together an order with morebeer.com. Pale Chocolate is on the list now.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 03:01:32 pm »
I like pale chocolate a lot, it lends a distinct coffee flavor with other dark grains.  I've got some brown and coffee but I still prefer the pale chocolate out of all.  I don't drink near as much anymore and my water almost dictates dark beers without fussing with the minerals.  My nephew actually paid me a compliment... he said my beer was as good as SA's Cream Stout.  I have to admit though... I prefer Left Hand Brewing's Cream Stout... what a brew that one is!!!  I don't use lactose or haven't yet but I think I need to give it a try.

Do you have a recipe you're willing to share for your stout then?  I love left hand and SA cream stout and would love to make a clone or clone-ish beer of that style.  Extract or all-grain.

cheers

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2012, 09:58:20 am »
I'm pretty sure there is a good portion of munich malt in the beer. I'm tasting it right now. Maybe I've got a bad batch but this one is really, really thin tasting and the head dissipates extremely quickly. Leaves me searching for more every sip. I also taste almost no roasted barley, which I think would make this beer much better, along with more body and mouthfeel. This is more like a schwarzbier than a stout, but not a very good schwarzbier.