Author Topic: Wild bugs & pH probe?  (Read 790 times)

Offline gandelf

• Assistant Brewer
  • Mill Creek Brewery, Temptation Rd
    • View Profile
Wild bugs & pH probe?
« on: December 23, 2011, 09:54:21 AM »
I'm a wild brew light weight, but I'm realizing I'm brewing more and more of them. My
question is do the brewers who manage their pH, have a wild bug dedicated pH probe?
Given the contact time and then I Starsan it; what are the risk? I cleaned and
recalibrated the probe after the Starsan routine. Will the bugs persevere?
Religion; A contrived security blanked for a species that is currently in its adolescent phase of its evolutionary journey.

Offline euge

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
Re: Wild bugs & pH probe?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 11:32:36 AM »
You shouldn't test the whole batch post-boil. Always draw a sample and test that. Do the same for the mash and let it cool first.

My last probe was infected with something and I soaked it and the cap in Everclear for a few minutes. Seemed to help a great deal.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline gandelf

• Assistant Brewer
  • Mill Creek Brewery, Temptation Rd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 11:50:45 AM »
You shouldn't test the whole batch post-boil. Always draw a sample and test that. Do the same for the mash and let it cool first.

From what part of my question did you glean I test the pH hot? I made an aluminum and copper sample chiller and test at 21 c, since my pH meter has a temp prob. I do like the Everclear idea; my probe will be getting the acid alcohol treatment next time.
Religion; A contrived security blanked for a species that is currently in its adolescent phase of its evolutionary journey.

Offline euge

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 11:57:16 AM »
 ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline narvin

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Baltimore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 12:31:29 PM »
Whether you're testing gravity, pH, or something else, I would throw out (i.e. throw down your throat) samples instead of putting them back in your fermenter.  This prevents contamination.
Please do not reply if your an evil alien!
Thanks
Chris S.