Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Professional Brewing texts that you use  (Read 6161 times)

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
Professional Brewing texts that you use
« on: December 23, 2011, 09:54:47 pm »
What are your go to tech books?  I hear this is the best, Technology Brewing and Malting by Kunze. What are you thoughts?

I know some brewers swear by the De Clerck books. I seems to me this one would have more relevent information to start up brewers because of the equipment that they use.

Which ones are you using if any?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 12:08:19 am by boulderbrewer »

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Brewing Books that you use and Could Not live without?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 10:05:48 pm »
Why do you need books when you have the internet?

Offline livefreebrewfree

• Cellarman
    • Jokesh Brewing
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 10:26:11 pm »
Radical Brewing. I love Randy's point of view and the charts on the uses of adjuncts have been great during my experimental beers. Hands down one of my favorite beers I've brewed so far was a Belgian Pale Ale brewed with chamomile tea. I had the chance to do a tasting led by him at Iron Hill here in PA during Philly Beer Week for only $10. What a deal!

How to Brew has come in handy during my switch to all-grain but I wouldn't say I couldn't live without it.

Offline livefreebrewfree

• Cellarman
    • Jokesh Brewing
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 11:14:51 pm »
Just wanted to apologize for posting off topic. Those damn percocets kicked in and I was thrilled to be posting!

Merry Holidays everyone!

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 11:38:06 pm »
New Brewing Lager Beer by Greg Noonan has taught me more than any other.

The name is misleading.  Not just for lager lugs.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Professional Brewing texts that you use
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 10:39:20 am »
If you are looking for a book that teaches you the more technical aspects of pro-brewing, such as heat exchanger sizing, glycol system configuration, CiP procedures, etc, etc, etc. Good luck. I have never found a book that covered such topics. What I have done is relied on Cooling and Heating guys, electricians, chemical guys and engineers to point me in the right direction.

There are a few books that are written more for the pro brewers. New Brewing Lager covers a lot of things such as how to read a malt data sheet, etc.  "Yeast" by CW and JZ is geared more for the pro brewer than the hobbyist IMO. Many of the "style guide series" focus on aspects of pro brewing including showing recipes in bbl sizes as well as homebrew sizes.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 10:50:33 am »
I actually forgot about one book I have that does cover many of the technical aspects of brewing such as those mentioned above. It is geared more for the pro brewer. It's called The Brewer's Handbook by Ted Goldammer. Not sure I highly recommend it but you may find a lot of useful material in it.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 11:35:59 am »
Principles of Brewing Science by George Fix is another excellent reference.

FWIW I was fortunate enough to have been friends with both Greg and George, and had the opportunity to judge beers with them at sanctioned competitions.

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 02:38:37 pm »
I'm a homebrewer...I haven't really found any books aimed at commercial brewers to be more than marginally relevant to what I do.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 04:41:57 pm »
I liked Hand Book Of Brewing, Second Addition. It seemed aimed more at someone aspiring to be pro and the most up to date book I've read. Beer: Tap into the Art and Science of Brewing, Second Edition was good but not too in depth. Just a few good tid bits here and there.

Another on that I like is The American Handy Book Of Brewing, although it's not very up to date.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 04:57:52 pm by Malticulous »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 05:16:21 pm »
"hand book of Brewing". Wondered why I hadn't heard of that one. Then saw the price! $180 bucks! :o

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2011, 06:14:11 pm »
Come on now, it's only 22ยข per page.  ::)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 11:05:54 pm »
I like this book, but I wouldn't say I use it.  I wouldn't really recommend it for 99.9% of homebrewers either.
http://www.amazon.com/Brewing-Microbiology-F-G-Priest/dp/0306472880/ref=dp_ob_title_bk
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 12:22:19 am »
I like this book, but I wouldn't say I use it.  I wouldn't really recommend it for 99.9% of homebrewers either.
http://www.amazon.com/Brewing-Microbiology-F-G-Priest/dp/0306472880/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

To quote spanky:
I am an avid homebrewer. I have been brewing all-grain for around six years. I am fascinated by the science behind the art. This book was not for me. Then why did I give it 5 stars? It is really, really comprehensive on spoilage bacteria and fungus, genetics etc that I am positive anyone in the industry that works with storing grain, consulting for breweries, lab work concerning beer production packaging etc will really get a lot out of this book. I did actually enjoy many parts of it but much of it cites hundreds of other papers that I do not have access too so there isn't anyway I could follow up if I wanted to. The genetics material was also well above my current level of understanding.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 08:37:37 am »
I'm a homebrewer...I haven't really found any books aimed at commercial brewers to be more than marginally relevant to what I do.

That's my thinking too...I've read a few of the  pro brewing texts and find them interesting, but considering the scale on which I brew it's basically more information than I really need.
I do like Noonan's book, though, and found some practical info there.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971