Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hefe Partial Mash  (Read 1762 times)

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
Hefe Partial Mash
« on: December 28, 2011, 06:39:47 am »
So my friend really wants me to do a hefeweizen, and I have been kicking around the idea for a while.  My question is with a partial mash, should I use a step mash or am I ok with a single infusion.  I will be mashing 50% wheat and 50% pils.  The rest of the grain bill will be made up with wheat DME.  I do a single infusion mash for my witbier, and it works, but if step mashing is better I might decide to try it for the witbier.  I've read a lot of different articles about this, and it seems split between yes and no.  So does it really add anything to the beer?   
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Hefe Partial Mash
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 07:52:42 pm »
an acid rest around 122* will certainly add more clovey precursors. whether you need a protein rest or not is a toss up for me. single will probably be fine.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 12:51:47 pm »
While not strictly a step mash, I've been liking the results I've been getting with decocting hefes.  Everything I've heard says the hefes are traditionally decocted and doing that pretty much gives you a step mash too.
Joe

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 01:03:28 pm »
While not strictly a step mash, I've been liking the results I've been getting with decocting hefes.  Everything I've heard says the hefes are traditionally decocted and doing that pretty much gives you a step mash too.

I had thought of doing a decoction, but I didn't know if that would be overkill for a partial mash or not.  I will probably do a step mash, since I don't know if I'd be comfortable doing a decoction yet.

Edit:  So I just watched the Brewing TV episode on decoction.  I seriously may consider doing this, it doesn't seem as complicated as I first thought.  After all i want most of the flavor and profile to come from the mash and just use the extract to supplement the beer basically.

Here's the recipe so far that i've been working on.  Makes it about 50% Wheat.

1.5 lb Pilsner malt
1.5 lb Wheat malt

2 lb Wheat DME
2 lb Extra Light (Pilsen) DME (30 minute late addition)
~1 oz Hallertauer hops to about 11-12 IBU @ 60 min.
Wyeast 3068

« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 08:14:44 pm by madscientist »
Homebrewed since 2010