Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Black IPA and Carafa II Malt question  (Read 3518 times)

Offline microbehunter

• 1st Kit
Black IPA and Carafa II Malt question
« on: December 25, 2011, 07:46:17 am »
We are planning on brewing a black IPA (extract with grains) in which 1 lb. of Carafa II malt (450 L) was to steep separately at 130 degrees F from the other grains for only three minutes. It appears the brew store mixed the Carafa II malt with the other grains that are to steep for 30 minutes at 154 degrees F.

We're trying to decide if we should toss the grains ( i hate the throwing away grains) and re-purchase them or go ahead with the brew and see what happens.

The other grains steeping for 30 minutes are 1.5 lbs pale ale malt, 12 oz. belgian aromatic malt, 10 oz. crystal malt (60 L) and 4 oz. black malt (600 L). So now add the 1 lb Carafa malt (450L) for 30 minutes at 154 F  instead of 3 at 130 F, and what will happen to the beer? The recipe can be found in the recent Jan-Feb 2012 issue of Brew Your Own, page 12.

What do you think will happen? Should we try it or start over?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 08:03:15 am by microbehunter »

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
Re: Black IPA and Carafa II Malt question
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 08:09:57 am »
You will be fine.  I typically throw by carafa III in with the rest of the grains in my black IPAs with no problems. RDWHAHB!

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 09:05:09 am »
The only reason that you might not want to steep the roast grains with the other grain is if your brewing water has really low alkalinity like RO or distilled water.  Otherwise, you should be fine with the roast steeped separately or together.

Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline microbehunter

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 07:35:32 am »
Thanks for taking the time to reply on a holiday. I brewed the beer after getting your response yesterday and it's happily fermenting away.