Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry hopping using pellets  (Read 18370 times)

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
Dry hopping using pellets
« on: December 20, 2011, 07:25:28 pm »
Brewed a pale ale tonight and, tossed in the remaining 3/4oz Simcoe pellets into the fermenter. How do you dry hop? Are pellets ok, and if so, how much. Do you sanitize them. I Was thinking about giving them a grain alcohol bath before dumping them in but was not sure if the yeasties would get pissed.
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
Re: Dry hopping using pellets
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 09:10:24 pm »
Brewed a pale ale tonight and, tossed in the remaining 3/4oz Simcoe pellets into the fermenter. How do you dry hop? Are pellets ok, and if so, how much. Do you sanitize them. I Was thinking about giving them a grain alcohol bath before dumping them in but was not sure if the yeasties would get pissed.

"tossed in the remaining 3/4oz Simcoe pellets into the fermenter"

Like that^^^^^^
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline rbclay

• Assistant Brewer
  • Northfield, MN
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 10:27:09 pm »
yes, like he said you can just throw them in the fermentor.  i would say definitely do not try to "sanitize" them with an alcohol bath. hops have preservative qualities. no need to sanitize them.

but it sounds like you already threw them in, no? dry hopping is best done after primary fermentation is complete.

you want to filter your wort after cooling, before pitching. if indeed you pitched the 3/4oz into the fermentor around the same time you pitched your yeast then you will have simply introduced some more (hop) matter into your primary. i understand that the vigorous primary fermentation action of the yeast will in effect "scrub" some of the character of the late hop additions out of the beer. that is why dry hopping after primary is recommended.

take good notes. change only one thing at a time. brew often!!
Randy Clay
Milltown Mashers
https://www.facebook.com/groups/404574082932834/
BJCP Certified

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 12:24:08 am »
I've got the same/similar question - last time I dry hopped with pellets, I ended up with a ton of hop matter in every glass. I've heard I shouldn't bag them, though, so I'm just wondering, how does one keep from getting them in there? Rack to secondary, dry hop, cold crash secondary, rack to keg?
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 12:41:05 am »
I've heard I shouldn't bag them,

I do.
Some don't.

There are two sides to the argument and the thing is, both sides are right. Since you have tried the no-bagging routine, try the bagging. It will cost you only one batch and it will turn out just fine. Maybe not what you expected; then maybe so. But none-the-less, just fine.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 12:59:07 am »
I use those little bouquet garni bags. About 1/4 oz pellet per bag, and they do nicely in the keg- though I don't see why it wouldn't work in secondary...

The bags need to be sanitized while the pellets don't. I dip the bags in starsan and wring the excess out. Then load with hops. Drop in keg.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 01:48:28 am »
I use those little bouquet garni bags. About 1/4 oz pellet per bag, and they do nicely in the keg- though I don't see why it wouldn't work in secondary...

The bags need to be sanitized while the pellets don't. I dip the bags in starsan and wring the excess out. Then load with hops. Drop in keg.

French version = http://www.cityfarmer.fr/cuisine-ustensiles/401-sachets-bouquet-garni.html - you'd think the french Amazon would have them, but nooooo. Internet ordering is hard over here. Thanks for the idea, I'll order a couple now.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 07:35:46 am »
Recently, I've started dry-hopping in the primary. What I do is cold crash down into the 40's for 4-5 days after fermentation is complete to drop out most of the yeast. I'll then let the beer warm back up into the 60s and just toss the pellets in loose. Let them sit for however long you desire, and cold crash again down to near freezing to get the hop matter to drop. Then into the keg, carb, and enjoy.
Mark Gres

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 11:09:45 am »

French version = http://www.cityfarmer.fr/cuisine-ustensiles/401-sachets-bouquet-garni.html - you'd think the french Amazon would have them, but nooooo. Internet ordering is hard over here. Thanks for the idea, I'll order a couple now.

Only six euros? The same price but for the exchange rate. :P
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 11:54:38 am »
Dry hopping is done after primary fermentation. The co2 produced will help to carry away the aroma , and the hop oils will latch onto the yeast cells and drop out with the yeast. Hops do not need to be sanitized. How much to add depends on your taste and or style of beer you want. It is the hop oil not the alpha acids that matters here, so the higher oil content the greater possible aroma produced. In a bag or straight is fine. Many different types of bags may be used, womens nylons work well.You must sanitize the bag. You may want to weigh the hops down in a bag to submerge them. Cold crashing works well to get the hops out of suspension for cleaner beer.  Every brew system will work better one way or another, let the dry hop experimentig begin....

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 11:59:50 am »
Dry hopping is done after primary fermentation. The co2 produced will help to carry away the aroma , and the hop oils will latch onto the yeast cells and drop out with the yeast. Hops do not need to be sanitized. How much to add depends on your taste and or style of beer you want. It is the hop oil not the alpha acids that matters here, so the higher oil content the greater possible aroma produced. In a bag or straight is fine. Many different types of bags may be used, womens nylons work well.You must sanitize the bag. You may want to weigh the hops down in a bag to submerge them. Cold crashing works well to get the hops out of suspension for cleaner beer.  Every brew system will work better one way or another, let the dry hop experimentig begin....

+1 ;D

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 12:18:22 pm »
Dry hopping is done after primary fermentation. The co2 produced will help to carry away the aroma , and the hop oils will latch onto the yeast cells and drop out with the yeast.
Yet another mystery solved!! I have dry hopped before but always in the primary and during fermentation. I often wondered why That fresh hop aroma was never as full as expected, but this quote explains things. I think when this batch settles down in a few days, I'll toss another 1/2oz into the primary. After a week I'll rack to a corny, cold crash and FC.
Thanks AGAIN for the great advice
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 05:11:16 pm »
I use a stainless tea ball strainer in the secondary. It keeps the particles in and sinks to the bottom. The bigger the strainer ball the better. Those pellets can really expand.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 09:35:20 am »
I use a stainless tea ball strainer in the secondary. It keeps the particles in and sinks to the bottom. The bigger the strainer ball the better. Those pellets can really expand.

How much do they expand?  I'm just about ready to dry hop for the first time, and bought a couple of these  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0047YKGPY/  to dry hop in the keg.  They are about 2.5" in diameter.... how many hop pellets can I fit in there?  Do they double in size? Triple in size? 

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 11:36:46 am »

How much do they expand?  I'm just about ready to dry hop for the first time, and bought a couple of these  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0047YKGPY/  to dry hop in the keg.  They are about 2.5" in diameter.... how many hop pellets can I fit in there?  Do they double in size? Triple in size? 

I've found that no more than 1oz of pellets should go in a strainer of that size. Otherwise it will be too compact. You may be able to fit more in, but you'll probably just waste hops. I don't remember the size that I use for sure, but I remember I got them online through Williams Brewing. I think they are close in size to the one you linked, just more of a circular shape.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!