Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WL833 tastes sweet  (Read 5002 times)

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
Re: WL833 tastes sweet
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 10:09:00 am »
I regularly use 833 for Ofest and Doppelbocks.  I does accentuate the malt more than 830 for instance, I think it is great for those two styles though (especially the Celebrator clone).
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: WL833 tastes sweet
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 01:31:52 pm »
Sweetness and maltiness are sometimes confused.  If the beer is cloyingly sweet, then it could be a function of the mash temperature (extent of full conversion and starch chain breakdown) and the above notes about the higher alcohol/ residual starches could apply (simply a very high body beer from a higher temperature mash).  If it was mashed around 149F for a long enough time, then it may be simply a confusion over the maltiness created by this yeast strain.  My recollection is that 833 is pretty good for bocks and O'Fests, whereas 830 is more the pilsner strain.

As to the American Lager strain - if you used some flaked maize, you will likely discover the drier side of the lager beer spectrum.

That's the great thing about this hobby - trying to get the ingredients and processes matched correctly to come out with beer the way you want.  I have tried multiple batches to replicate Capital Brewing Company's "Supper Club" lager, but I haven't nailed it yet. (Still some pretty good beers, though).

Cheers.

Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"