Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Quick Fermentation?  (Read 2855 times)

Offline bobbyt1161

• 1st Kit
Quick Fermentation?
« on: December 27, 2011, 06:04:12 am »
I just started my first batch friday night and it seems as though the fermentation has stopped already. I am not seeing any more bubbles in my airlock, I havent checked the gravity yet but, is this normal after 3 days?

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Quick Fermentation?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 07:17:25 am »
I just started my first batch friday night and it seems as though the fermentation has stopped already. I am not seeing any more bubbles in my airlock, I havent checked the gravity yet but, is this normal after 3 days?

What style, starting gravity, yeast used, fermentation temp, etc?  It's not unusual for some fermenations to finish in a few days, especially if fermented on the warmer side.  Also, don't rely on the airlock to determine that fermenation is done.

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Quick Fermentation?
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 09:33:14 am »

It could be, depending on the beer and the temp it's fermenting at.  But it could be due to something else, too.  I wouldn't worry about it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Quick Fermentation?
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 10:03:57 am »
A bubbling airlock is only an indicator of fermentation but the gravity of the beer is actual confirmation of fermentation. Let your gravity be your guide. I usually give ales 7-10 days at a minimum then check the gravity.
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 02:21:02 pm »
This has got to one of the toughest lessons for the new brewer to learn: patience. As stated by previous posters yes the bulk of the fermentation is done in 2-3 days but there is a conditioning phase which can last for a few more days up to months.

Until you learn the rules and then how to break them (bend them to you will ;)) just stick with the conventional 14 day ferment. Then check the gravity.

BTW bobbyt1161 at what temp did you ferment the beer?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 03:22:15 pm »
Plus what are you fermenting in?  I find in buckets, unless the seal is perfect I only see evidence of fermentation in the fermentation lock when it's going crazy.  As soon as it slows down, there is enough leakage to let the CO2 out without using the air lock.  It'll take the path of least resistance.  I've opened the lid and there's still lots of krausen and I'm sure it was still fermenting but not bubbling.
I haven't been at this as long as the rest of the people on here but I gotta echo Euge's comment.  I don't even check for at least 2 weeks anymore.  Patience is key and will make better beer but remember to start a new batch after the first week or you'll never keep up...