Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Secondary yes or no  (Read 7898 times)

Offline krustybb

• Cellarman
  • Grab a Brew and Relax
Re: Secondary yes or no
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2011, 08:37:07 pm »
The room, I did not take a temp on the actual beer.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2011, 02:15:11 am »
Give it time.  Hard to say what will happen, but time will tell.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2011, 02:36:34 am »
Somebody tell me it is going to go further without any more yeast. Or do I need to pitch again. It has been in the bucket for 6 days. I should just wait for two more weeks is my guess. I don't need to worry right?

It could go lower. What yeast did you use? How did you brew your beer? A recipe for the 1.062 stout? Based upon the SG it could be done and quite tasty.

Stir it and leave it alone for another week and then check the gravity. Six days is a little early to go fussing with your beer and pitching more yeast is a bit premature and likely not needed.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline krustybb

• Cellarman
  • Grab a Brew and Relax
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2011, 07:31:58 am »
Thanks I got it back up to the temp I want. I used the Munton's dry yeast that came with the kit. I will wait a week and check it again. Thanks for ansewring my constant new guy questions and relaxing me. The target final gravity I had was 1.015 it would be great to get down there but whatever.

By the way tschmidlin- I am from Seattle (Roslyn actually). What is your favorite Washington brewery out there? Black Raven was doing pretty well in Redmond when I left the state. I still spend my summers out there and work with Rick from Uber running the SIB and PIB.

Offline gigatropolis

• Cellarman
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2011, 11:07:37 pm »
I use a secondary because it is part of my bottling process and lets me be lazy without worry. Once in the better bottle, you can get a carboy cab with a center hole for the racking cane and attach the bottling wand with a hose to the other end. Blow on the other tube to start the flow and you can bottle by yourself stress free. I found this to be the best way to bottle after lot's of trial and error.

Also with the secondary I tend to DH often, which I think makes a better beer in many cases (and I like to DH anyway). You cam also park it there without worry because the beer will be just fine for as long as the laziness is there :)

But if you leave it alone after racking to the BB does't all the priming sugar get used up? or do you use carb drops? I rack to a bottling bucket with a spigot and have no problem bottling by myself.

I don't add any priming sugar until just before bottling the beer.

I've always had trouble connecting the bottling wand to the spigot on the bucket because the hoses just don't seem to fit. Never found a connector to go from the 3/8 down to the 7/16 and end up with some leaky hacked up contraption.
 When just bottling from the spigot or a short length of hose, I always feel like the beer is being oxidized as the beer runs down the side of the bottle like it is being decanter-ed. Bottling wand rules and the carboy cap makes it easy to use.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2011, 06:12:04 am »
I use a short piece of 3/8 inch tubing to go from the spigot to the wand.  Fits perfectly.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2011, 11:24:02 pm »
By the way tschmidlin- I am from Seattle (Roslyn actually). What is your favorite Washington brewery out there? Black Raven was doing pretty well in Redmond when I left the state. I still spend my summers out there and work with Rick from Uber running the SIB and PIB.
Black Raven is still doing really well, and they are local for me.  I'm a fan of a lot of our breweries, but Big Time is an old favorite.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline krustybb

• Cellarman
  • Grab a Brew and Relax
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2011, 08:11:47 am »
I lost my wallet at Big time many years ago. Great porter.