Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: White Castles and Beer  (Read 7530 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: White Castles and Beer
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2011, 10:49:35 am »
We had the White Diamond in Clark &  Westfield.  Same concept, some toothless Southern cook saying "Y'all want 'taters wit dem eggs?"

That's Southern Joisy, right?
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline michaels

• 1st Kit
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2011, 11:22:54 am »
Much more cheese.
http://www.skylinechili.com/signature.php
Oh, and onions are part of the charm.

No real offense but: Cincinnati chili is NOT chili and Skyline Cincinnati chili, whether it be 3 way, four way or five way has to be one of the worst things I have ever eaten!

Please note that coming from New England where Haute Cuisine is Boiled New England Dinner (just take cabbage, cheap ham, potatoes, turnips, and whatever other root vegetable is available, and boil everything until it is an inedible soggy, mushy mass of horridness) I've had plenty of weird and completely unappetizing foods.  We need White Castle up north too!

If anyone must replicate Skyline Cincinnati chili but can’t travel to Cinn: buy the cheapest and worst canned chili (without beans) you can find, heat it up and toss it on some thin spaghetti pasta, and then cover it with shredded supermarket brand American cheese and you  have a close approximation (but possibly not quite as bad). You really need beer with this “meal” but I don’t think I’ve ever seen any beer other than Bud, Bud Light, Miller, etc at the places where they sell this concoction.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2011, 12:10:51 pm »
I like cheese coneys.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2011, 12:40:30 pm »

No real offense but: Cincinnati chili is NOT chili and Skyline Cincinnati chili,

I'll concur that its not really chili, but I like it.  

You got the formula wrong.  To make it, you would have to use a cheap but meaty spaghetti sauce and add a bunch of cinnamin to come close to replicating it.  I still like it.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2011, 05:53:04 pm »
It looks pretty good.  You need it to be smooth not chunky to work on a chili dog.  Of all the places not to recommend eating at, Six Flags has a really tasty foot-long chili cheese dog.  Maybe its just being starved and bored to death simultaneously.

The other items look like Steak and Shake fare.

Wife aksed me for dinner suggestions yesterday, I threw out chili dogs so we made chili last night and the dogs are coming tomorrow or Thursday.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO