Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The Hop Squasher  (Read 23031 times)

Offline wayne1

• Cellarman
Re: The Hop Squasher
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 09:40:50 am »
A brewpub in Denver has just started using a French Press to offer fresh hop infused beers

http://blogs.westword.com/cafesociety/2012/01/bull_bush_offering_tableside_whole-hop_infusions.php

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 10:05:15 am »
Doesn't that pretty much decarb the beer, too
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 10:27:23 am »
Interesting concept - subscribing!

Offline wayne1

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 12:16:35 pm »
Denny,

This was written earlier in the thread
You do lose a little carb so its almost like a dry hopped cask ale once it hits the glass. A little more carbed than that.....What you get is great hop aroma and flavor.

I picked up a French Press this past weekend to try it out. I added about a teaspoon of Centennial pellets to 24 oz of O'Dells IPA of 5 min. It added quite a bit more aroma and flavor. I also picked up a small amount of diacetyl that I did not find in the nonSquashed beer. In the Westword article, there is a comment that someone who tried the B&B infused beer also found a bit of diacetyl.

Crazy Mountain Brewing has been serving fresh hop infused beers for the past couple of years. Here are some shots from the 2011 and 2012 Big Beers, Belgians and Barleywines Festival in Vail, CO

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 09:01:28 am »

I personally like my IPA and IIPA with low levels of carbonation. And, FWIW, you get a lot of foaming and some loss of carbonation with a randall as well. I know you think a randall is more a novelty than anything, but we have done some beers through one and I really like the results. I can see why this idea generates some excitement.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 09:31:13 am »

I personally like my IPA and IIPA with low levels of carbonation. And, FWIW, you get a lot of foaming and some loss of carbonation with a randall as well. I know you think a randall is more a novelty than anything, but we have done some beers through one and I really like the results. I can see why this idea generates some excitement.

Keith, my opinion of the Randall may well come from not having a beer served correctly through one.  And I like a fair bit of carbonation in my IPAs and APAs.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 09:41:04 am »
Well, it's not that tricky to serve a beer through one. Maybe you just don't care for the results? I can respect that.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012, 09:43:18 am »
Well, it's not that tricky to serve a beer through one. Maybe you just don't care for the results? I can respect that.

If it gives the beer more hops, I ALWAYS like it!  But the beers I had that were served through a Randall have been a flat, sloppy mess.  Guess I just need to keep trying them until I find one done right.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2012, 11:04:09 am »
A brewpub in Denver has just started using a French Press to offer fresh hop infused beers

http://blogs.westword.com/cafesociety/2012/01/bull_bush_offering_tableside_whole-hop_infusions.php

Whole Hop Infusion. Catchy name.
I might try it with some homegrown and that PBR in the fridge tonight. :)

At the pub, doing it with Simcoe, Citra and Amarillo might get a little pricey,
but getting piles of cheap locally produced cascade, chinook and crystal... Very cool.

I thought this was an interesting statement in the article:

"Peterson got the idea a few weeks ago when he was trying to think of something new to do with a bunch of whole hops he'd bought from Jack Rabbit Hill. He wanted to use them to dry-hop one of the beer Bull & Bush brews, but didn't have a way to strain out the hops cones afterward. Most beers are brewed using hops pellets, a ground and compressed form of hops that dissolve in the beer when it is brewed.:D

Offline wayne1

• Cellarman
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2012, 07:05:29 pm »
Denny,

Perhaps you just need to go to your local Bed, Bath and Beyond and pick up a French Press coffee maker. I did this past weekend. The wife has masses of 20% off and $10.00 of one item coupons. I spent $20.00 for a 34 oz model with glass container. Far cheaper than a Randall or Hop Rocket. Pellets or leaf hops can be used.

I just picked up some Ruthless Rye. I'll try some in the Hop Squasher. Any suggestions as to what variety to use? I have q very good selection of pellets but only some home grown Cascase leaf.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2012, 06:00:04 am »
for Ruthless I'm thinking Cascade or Centennial. Even though I don't care for Citra much it is very nice in a randall and I'm thinking it would pair nicely with Ruthless. Also a nice method to knock out some of the carbonation in that beer and make it softer.