Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2011--> 2012  (Read 6912 times)

Offline metron-brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • White Bear Lake, MN
Re: 2011--> 2012
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 01:37:07 pm »
Brewed 23 batches this year including my first 10 gallon batch.
Made the jump to All-Grain and loving it.
My goal was to work on learning the process and to become a better brewer. I would say I'm pretty pleased with the progress.
Became a member of the AHA.
Toured my first local Brewery, Flat Earth Brewing.

My goals for 2012 are much the same, brew (and drink) lot's of beer and become a better brewer.
Pick a few beers and try to brew them repeatedly to improve and perfect them. I'd like to become a more consistant brewer. Most of what I've brewed has been good, some great, I'd like them all to be great and to turn out how I planned them.
Continue to visit/tour as many local breweries as possible. First is Summit in March.
Ron B.
White Bear Lake, MN

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 01:40:21 pm »
2011 was a good beer year for me, brewing around 12 batches. Produced only 1 "yucker" that I couldn't even pass off on the un-beer washed masses. It was a completely hair brained experiment, so I was not too surprised. Only ran out of home brew on tap maybe 3 times.

Being married to a Brit, I am required to brew traditional bitters more than anything else, but I was able to squeeze in a Chocolate-Espresso Porter before the holidays which made a great gift for many acquaintances. Not a big deal for all you radical brewers out there, but an interesting change for me.

Got more serious about techniques and calibrations this year for better repeatability and recipe design, so I'm ready to stretch out and perfect some new styles. My year end gift to my brew set up is a pump, which I am in process of hooking up.

The most rewarding things for me during 2011, were 1.) seeing our local club which has been in existence for 3+ yrs
go from 4 or 5 people at a monthly meeting to at least 14, and often more.  2.) getting a neighbor to admit he no longer likes the commercial beers he's been drinking. 3.) mentoring a couple of people who are new to brewing 4.) getting another neighbor to resurrect his brewing hobby interest. 5.) making lots of beer that didn't suck.

Looking forward to 2012, I hope to try many more available craft beers, taste my way through all the BJCP styles,
brew my best beers to date, compete a little, participate in the NHC in Wa. and find a couple more people to evang-ale-ize to the joys of home brewing.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 05:03:21 pm »
I don't recall how many batches I brewed this year (12 - 15 maybe?), however, the highlights are:

1.  Brewed my first lagers (two in one day)... a hoppy, dark beer (basically from a CDA recipe of mine... or in this case a CDL) with Wyeast Bohemian Lager yeast... and a hoppy, light-colored beer (basically a India White Ale (IWA) from an IWA recipe of mine... or in this case an IWL) with Wyeast Urquell Lager yeast.  Both turned out beautifully to my surprise given they were my first attempts at lagering.
2.  Made a Sweetwater IPA clone that turned out beautifully.
3.  Kept tweaking my Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale clone.
4.  Upgraded my brewing equipment... bought a Blichmann 20-gallon Brewpot.
5.  Started brewing on a commercial level with a local brewery... in fact, they've incorporated two of my recipes into flagship beers.  One being the first IPA ever locally produced in Korea - Craftworks Moon Bear IPA
6.  Brewed two beers that had less than six ounces of hops... I'm a hop head.  It was tough!  But folks enjoyed the Winter Warmer (with cherries, cinnamon, and vanilla).  The Caramel Machiato beer is waiting to be kegged and carbed.
7.  Made a makeshift kegerator.

Stuff for 2012:
1.  Get a Therminator
2.  Work more with the local brewery and learn more about the commercial equipment they use.
3.  Fine tune my IPA's, CDA's, IWA's, and IWL's
4.  Continue to help promote homebrewing in Korea by doing more tastings at local pubs, brewery tours, and assisting Korea's new American Craft Beer distributor, Mr. Sung Lee of Brewmasters International.  Hopefully he can convince more American Craft Beer makers to sell their beers to him.  Currently, he has Anderson Valley, Lost Coast, and Rogue.  Great breweries, but one can never have enough choice, right?
5.  Maybe brew a hefewiezen... never done that before.

Cheers everyone and have a great 2012!!!

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 05:43:34 pm »
I resurrected the hobby in 2010 and just went for it 2011; built a 4 tap kegerator, invested in AG gear centered around a big GREEN  :P Coleman extreme, keggle and a 20gal Blichmann, March pump and a therminator. Its a simple set up that I call my Oregon City Sawhorse Brewery.  I made 15 batches in 2011, seven of which were 10 gallon.  All of them were delicious to me and most that offered opinions, my favorites probably being the Pliny Clone and DC's Rye IPA. We added a second 14 cf freezer for fermentation and storage which has opened the door to lagers. My ulterior motive that I am now beginning to negotiate with the Brewmistress is that one more 7cf freezer would really optimize the system as a fermentation chamber, freeing up the 14 for cold lagering and storage= more brewing!  
In 2012 I will focus on refining my process, trying new styles and learning more about testing and adjusting water chemistry. I will also complete a Masters program I've been working on that should allow me the time to get involved with BJCP.  Finally, really looking forward to meeting some of the good forum folks in Seattle this June. Cheers and Happy New Year!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 06:11:19 pm by Pinski »
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 06:07:02 pm »
I brewed 17 batches of beer in 2011. Some highlights include:

-Fully integrated my Brutus 10 single tier brewstand build
-Judge Director at the first ever AHA/BJCP sponsored homebrew competition in Delaware at "The Delaware State Fair"
-Attended NHC in San Diego
-Won a third place ribbon in the NHC regionals with a Dopplebock
-Improved my fermentation control with the addition of a fermentation control chamber.

Some goals for 2012:

-Win a seat on the AHA Governing Committee
-Place at NHC
-Improve my yeast handling process
-Start barrel aging some beers
-RDWHAHB  8)

Ron Price

narvin

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2011, 12:28:00 pm »
Not sure what's in store for 2012.  I think my process and equipment is finally stable so I hope to make some (more) kick ass beer  I am going to start blending Lambic, since I've brewed a batch each year for the past 3 years (raw wheat, turbid mash, aged hops) and it's finally time to make some gueze.  I also want to try a few small jugs aged with different fruit.

I went to my first NHC in 2011, got a pH meter, motorized my grain mill, and dialed in some of my favorite styles.  I was also really pleased with some competition results that I got (and others, not so pleased  ;) ).  I already have a pump, plate chiller, 20 gallon kettle, second freezer for lagering, refractometer, microscope, hemacytometer, etc, so I don't think I need any more toys this year.

Offline tankdeer

• Brewer
  • Portland, OR
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2011, 02:38:35 pm »
2011 got me:
chest freezers
lots of lagers
grain mill & bulk grain
my first NHC
used 60g wine barrel solara

2012:
unknown - that's 1/2 the fun.
No TV and no beer make Homer something something...

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2011, 02:52:00 pm »
2011 was a busy year for me. Learned to be a papa. started kegging and brewed 25 gallons of the same recipe, learning all about consistency. I think I got a handle on barley wines finally (the trick is to keep it simple ;)). made huge leaps in my general process. fell in love with partigyle. made my first barrel aged beer which I think is my best beer so far, a really solid and drinkable 11% barley wine. It's going to age well I think but it's delicious already.

2012 I am going to start entering some contests for the feedback. keep brewing lots of fun beer. dial in a couple more recipes. grow my own hops and (hopefully) malt some of my own grain.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2011, 07:12:52 pm »
2011 go me to commercial brewing.
What a crazy ride it is.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2011, 09:35:11 am »
To all who replied, Thanks. Its great to hear of everyone's success and optimism. I have the fire on the kettle now. Knocking out one last batch for the year. I'm doing 10 gallons of my Vanilla Porter. I'll split half of it off and age on Bourbon soaked American oak cubes. Cant wait to try this one out in the new year! Cheers!
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2012, 09:48:02 am »
I will brew at least six times in 2012. I realize that isn't much by serious brewing standards, but it will keep me in the game, and is realistic for the year ahead, which has a lot happening elsewhere in my life.  For me, planning the next brew session is part of the pleasure. I'm going to calendar my brew sessions later today. If I can brew more, great.

The key goal I have for 2012 is to introduce more process into my process, both for making the brewing experience easier physically and to produce more consistent beers. (Consistently good, of course ;-) ) 
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2012, 10:13:09 am »
2011 was an OK year.

2012 will include entering and judging some competitions.  We will go to the NHC again.  A trip back to Germany is planned (airline tickets are bought so we are going).  Brewing an American Barleywine tomorrow. 

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2012, 10:28:32 am »
2011 in review...

My resolution for 2011 last year was to brew something that didn't taste like homebrew.  I think I've got that pretty much accomplished.
Made the switch to all-grain and brewed about 25 or 30 all grain batches, very few of them from recipe (but with lots of help from the forum).
Tried a decoction mash - not gonna rush to do another in 2012
Won 3 gold medals for different brews, a wit, an APA and a Kolsch.
Really happy with my APA recipes and my Cali Common
Began using starters and washing yeast.
Joined the AHA

For 2012
Continue to perfect my system and maybe clean up my basement so I have more than 10 square feet to brew in.
Try a barley wine
Continue to work on perfecting the process for lagers
Win CABA Brewer of the Year as a stepping stone to my 2013 Ninkasi win  ;)
Drink a metric butt load of homebrew.

Offline qmi6

• 1st Kit
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2012, 04:53:01 pm »
2011:
I brewed 9 batches this year.  Although looking back a lot of them were non-beer.
I made a hard lemon aide,  2 california commons,  2 stouts, A cycer, 2 meads, and a dopplebock. 

2012:
I hope to make some session beers.  Be more willing to hand out my stuff to others.  I have at least one competition I'm entering.  I'm also looking into becoming a judge; or at least review judging to help my beer.

Offline ethalacker

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2012, 06:19:03 pm »
2011: First full year of brewing!! I met the goals that I had set (switch to all grain, start using yeast starters, enter a competition, and start kegging). I also found a fridge for fermentation so i can ferment at what ever temp I would like.  

2012: I plan on moving to ten gallon batches, entering more compietitions(for more feed back), improving house brews(ESB, IPA, Porter) and keeping better records.

I would also like to start dabbling in sours.
BoneHead Brewery
Mableton, GA