Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Handheld vaccum seal  (Read 2829 times)

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
Handheld vaccum seal
« on: December 29, 2011, 08:56:27 am »
Hi all,

I just bought a handheld vacuum sealer, as I read on a different thread that these will work on mason jars. I would like to seal some hops with this, but am not sure how to do it exactly with this model. Could those who have one share some tips with me?

This is the model I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-FSFRSH0051-FreshSaver-Handheld-Vacuum-Sealing/dp/B002FWIVCA/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1325174136&sr=1-1

Thanks a lot,
Kyle
Kyle M.

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
Re: Handheld vaccum seal
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 09:05:16 am »
I have one of these I use for sealing up partially used hops... I keep them in their orig packages and then seal them up in these bags. One thing you have to do is where the device 'connects' to the bag... has to be flat... can't be anything around it. If you notice in the pic of the link you have, the meat comes right up to that port, thats what you have to do with anything you put in it. I found its easier to put the 'stuff' in the bag, start to seal the ziplock, push as much air out as possible, finnish zipping it then seal it up with the vacuum.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 11:25:11 am »
I haven't heard too many good things about this type of sealer. But, since you have one maybe you can dispel any negativity. I'm also interested in the mason jar aspect. Anyway good luck and keep us updated!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 12:55:59 pm »
I use a Pump'n'Seal for storing my hops in mason jars.  Seems like what you're looking at would work pretty much the same way.  The Pump'n'Seal comes with what is basically a push pin that you use to poke a tiny hole in the mason jar lid.  It also comes with a bunch of little sticky seals that you put over the hole.  Once you pump all the air out of the jar, the seal keeps the vacuum.  If you google around a bit, you'll find instructions for making your own "seals" and you should be good to go.
Joe

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 04:00:41 pm »
I missed that earlier... I don't think these work with mason jars... that would be the lid attachment that comes with the actual foodsaver.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 09:14:19 am »
There is a Mason jar attachment for the Foodsaver
http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-T03-0023-01-Wide-Mouth-Jar-Sealer/dp/B00005TN7H/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325693316&sr=8-1

I'm going to give that a try. I've got the powered version of their vacuum sealer that I just bought.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NGNBPA/ref=pd_rate_rs

I've used the Reynolds vacuum sealer and it does okay double bagging hops. Jars will be a whole easier to stack in the freezer.

*EDIT* Upon further review, it appears the jar attachment only works with the bigger machines.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 09:25:30 am by BrewingRover »
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.