Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Red Velvet Recipe, AHA Wiki  (Read 3116 times)

Offline vigsteel

• 1st Kit
Red Velvet Recipe, AHA Wiki
« on: February 03, 2012, 08:29:13 am »
Has anyone made the mini-mash adaptation of the Red Velvet (10B American Amber Ale) from the AHA recipe Wiki? The mini-mash notes below the all-grain recipe call for subbing 8# LME for 11# of 2-row, but the all grain recipe calls for 14# of 2-row. It isn't clear whether one should include an additional 3# of 2-row in steeping grain bill--in which case there would be 9+ lbs of steeping grains, which seems like a whale of a lot for a 6 gal batch. I'm interested in making this one, but am unsure of the specs. Thanks.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Red Velvet Recipe, AHA Wiki
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 08:58:51 am »
you need the  row because 1 lb of munich is not going to be able to convert 3 lbs of flaked rye. it is a big 'mini' mash for sure but it looks right to me. you could do a extract with steeping grains version by adding another ~2 lbs pale LME, ~2 lbs rye malt extract(not really the same as flaked rye but close), a little munich extract and steeping the rest of the grains.

I have not brewed this recipe and have no idea if this would work but it seems like it would. I don't know if victory needs to be mashed either.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 10:00:22 am »
you need the  row because 1 lb of munich is not going to be able to convert 3 lbs of flaked rye. it is a big 'mini' mash for sure but it looks right to me. you could do a extract with steeping grains version by adding another ~2 lbs pale LME, ~2 lbs rye malt extract(not really the same as flaked rye but close), a little munich extract and steeping the rest of the grains.

I have not brewed this recipe and have no idea if this would work but it seems like it would. I don't know if victory needs to be mashed either.

The rye malt extract that Northern Brewer sells (and I think that's the only one there is) is 70% pale malt, 10% C40, and 20% rye so it really isn't a sub for flaked rye.  If the OP used malted rye instead of flaked, he'd probably be OK.   Malted rye. at least the Briess version I use, has just enough diastatic power to convert itself.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 10:41:06 am »

The rye malt extract that Northern Brewer sells (and I think that's the only one there is) is 70% pale malt, 10% C40, and 20% rye so it really isn't a sub for flaked rye.  If the OP used malted rye instead of flaked, he'd probably be OK.   Malted rye. at least the Briess version I use, has just enough diastatic power to convert itself.

I knew it wasn't just rye but I wasn't sure of the proportions. not much rye at all huh? almost sounds like a rye IPA kit ready to go just add hops.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline vigsteel

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 08:47:35 am »
Thanks for your replies. Your remarks sparked a lot of reading and development of my understanding of diastatic power. I ended up getting the 3# of 2-row. O.G. was .007 short of projected, but still huge (1.083). There was so much grain that it was hard to handle--must make plunge into all-grain asap.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 11:49:17 am »

I knew it wasn't just rye but I wasn't sure of the proportions. not much rye at all huh? almost sounds like a rye IPA kit ready to go just add hops.

http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/RedVelvet

I figured the flaked rye was about 17% of the recipe without specialty grains. If it were me I'd use the rye malt extract and just steep the other specialty malts. Maybe also steep some extra 40l to make up for the extract content. This way you aren't steeping/mini-mashing so much grain~ it's a little over three pounds now.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 01:07:13 pm »
Denny, what are you using?  This looks like it could convert quit a bit of stuff. 
http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs/Briess_PISB_RyeMalt.pdf
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 02:17:51 pm »
Denny, what are you using?  This looks like it could convert quit a bit of stuff. 
http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs/Briess_PISB_RyeMalt.pdf

Boy it sure does!  Last time I looked was a couple years back and it was considerably lower.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell