Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Boiling starters in a flask  (Read 20700 times)

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
Re: Boiling starters in a flask
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2012, 11:08:53 am »
i boil in a microwave oven in a mason jar
Don AHA member

Offline Boston Brewer

• Cellarman
Boiling starters in a flask
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2012, 06:40:20 am »
I've always made the starter in a pan & poured the hot wort in to the flask for chilling. The one time I boiled in a flask I received a nasty burn from stupidly swirling the wort while trying to fully dissolve the DME.
Be careful out there!

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2012, 10:01:03 am »
I've always made the starter in a pan & poured the hot wort in to the flask for chilling. The one time I boiled in a flask I received a nasty burn from stupidly swirling the wort while trying to fully dissolve the DME.
Be careful out there!

I did the same exact thing. My wife bought me brewing gloves a few days later and I now boil in a pot.
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
    • http://www.barfclub.org
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2012, 10:03:05 am »
I cracked a 2L flask on the range top once. So lucky it didn't shatter everywhere. I boil in a pot now.
Michael P Mitchem
Beer and Ale Research Foundation (B.A.R.F.)
AHA Member since 2011

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2012, 12:22:12 pm »
Every time I try to use the conical flask directly it boils over. :o It's easier for me to use a pot then transfer.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2012, 12:54:55 pm »
Yeah, boiling in a flask is like playing chicken.

Here's a trick I started doing lately when making bigger starters (maybe not so tricky to some, but it has helped me):

I boil 3/4 of the water i need directly in the flask a day before I need to make a starter. after it's boiled for 15 min or so, I cap it with foil and let it cool down on the counter and then eventually, it goes in the fridge.

The next day, I boil a super concentrated (4x) wort with a little over 1/4 of the planned volume.  Boil for fifteen minutes, then cover and let it cool down on the stove.  Once its cool enough - say about 150df or so, I pull the flask from the previous day holding just water, and direct pour the wort in and its usually right at 60df or so!  Put in a sanitized stir bar and its off and running.

Just thought that may help some of you out there.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Boston Brewer

• Cellarman
Boiling starters in a flask
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2013, 06:48:20 am »

I did the same exact thing. My wife bought me brewing gloves a few days later and I now boil in a pot.

My wife gave me gloves for Christmas!

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2013, 08:53:29 am »
I'm on electric with no problems.  But it of course has to be Pyrex....

Google "pyrex flask on electric stove" for hundreds (thousands?) of people who have broken Pyrex flasks by placing them directly on an electric stove.

I sure hope I'm not jinxing myself, OK already did so:

I've been boiling on my electric range with a Bomex 5L erlenmeyer for the past year and 30-40 starters later, no prob.....

I'm sure it will crack next time now.   :-\
Dave Zach

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2013, 04:35:56 pm »

Here's a trick I started doing lately when making bigger starters (maybe not so tricky to some, but it has helped me):

I boil 3/4 of the water i need directly in the flask a day before I need to make a starter. after it's boiled for 15 min or so, I cap it with foil and let it cool down on the counter and then eventually, it goes in the fridge.

The next day, I boil a super concentrated (4x) wort with a little over 1/4 of the planned volume.  Boil for fifteen minutes, then cover and let it cool down on the stove.  Once its cool enough - say about 150df or so, I pull the flask from the previous day holding just water, and direct pour the wort in and its usually right at 60df or so!  Put in a sanitized stir bar and its off and running.

I like it, I think that's a great idea.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2013, 06:00:03 pm »

You could put the stir bar in the flask first.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2013, 06:58:31 pm »
Pyrex is shatter-resistant not shatter-proof.  Pyrex labware is meant to be used over a gas flame, nothing else.  Pyrex, Kimax or other borosilicate glass has a higher chance of shattering if used on electric and ceramic ranges.  Because Of this I boil in a pot on my electric range then transfer to a sanitized flask.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2013, 07:20:00 pm »

Me too, though I don't think the two-day process is needed. You could boil some water in a flask and wort in a pot. When done, pour the hot wort into the flask and let it cool. Since it's still hot the chance of contamination is zero and the starter will be ready to innoculate sooner.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2013, 08:57:23 pm »
Me too, though I don't think the two-day process is needed. You could boil some water in a flask and wort in a pot. When done, pour the hot wort into the flask and let it cool. Since it's still hot the chance of contamination is zero and the starter will be ready to innoculate sooner.
That works too.  Although I tend to do most things at night anyway, so it would still be the next night before I pitched anything.  This was I can boil the concentrated wort, add the chilled water, and away I go.  If only sterile filtered water was cheap :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2013, 09:18:28 am »

You could put the stir bar in the flask first.

This is what I do.  I put the stir bar in the flask and add boiling water to sterilize it all.  Then I add the starter wort to the flask and pitch some yeast when it's cool enough.

Boiling in the flask scares me, though I do recall reading that the majority of problems are with electric elements in that you have an uneven distribution of heat from the element (ie. super hot where the element touches the glass).  I suppose you could use a diffuser to eliminate that problem.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2013, 09:26:28 am »
cool - I was always afraid the direct heat was going to melt the coating on my stir bar.  if you guys say its okay, I'll try it next time.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281