Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cereal mash today, brew tomorrow?  (Read 6122 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Cereal mash today, brew tomorrow?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 12:15:43 pm »
Palmer talks about bringing it to the conversion rest at 155 but then goes on to say that corn needs 165 to 172 to convert but that's awfully close to mash-out temps and I was going to try to stop at 170 but shot past so I said "screw it" and went for the boil.  Unless I'm really missing something, the purpose behind a cereal mash is to make the starch available for conversion in the main mash, not to convert the starch in the cereal mash so I can't really decide if this second rest matters or not since it's gonna be in with the main mash later.  I would think that in many ways, a handful of corn starch added directly to the main mash would accomplish the same from a gravity standpoint although it wouldn't add the flavour that I'm after and might make sparging a nightmare.

I'll let you know how the brew goes and if this worked or not.

That is how I always understood it, the cooking part is prior to the mash part. you cook the adjunct so the starch is gelatinized and available for the enzymes to convert in the main mash. not sure why you would include any malt in the cooking process in that case.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce