Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cider Yeast options  (Read 20543 times)

Offline beerhaus

• Cellarman
Cider Yeast options
« on: December 30, 2011, 01:24:35 pm »
I've used White Labs English cider yeast and White Labs Champagne yeast  any other suggestions I may want to try?

Offline brushvalleybrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Centre Hall, PA
    • Brush Valley Brewer
Re: Cider Yeast options
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 03:34:06 pm »
Wyeast makes a cider yeast that I like.
In a humble log cabin off an unregarded back road, somewhere, deep in the heart of Pennsylvania’s hill country, we find our intrepid hero — the Brush Valley Brewer.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 04:35:52 pm »
you could try some beer yeasts. Belgians maybe. or english.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 07:42:04 pm »
I prefer Côte des Blancs for cider.  You still have to back sweeten it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 06:19:35 am »
Cote des Blancs is good.  My favorite of the moment is good old US-05.  If you use liquid yeast, be sure to step it up to a big starter (using some sweet apple cider as the liquid).
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 08:17:44 am »
I like Red Star Premier Cuvee and fermenting around 45-50F. Cold fermentation helps maintain the aromatics from the apples and premier cuvee is very cold tolerant.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 09:27:58 am »
I've used a few. From Nottingham, to the WL English Cider to us-05. I think theres been a champaigne yeast in there somewhere along the line. I liked the WL English cider the best. It was clean, crisp and tart. Went all the way down to practically zero. I back sweeten to 08 or 10 and it makes a really nice cider.
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett

Offline livefreebrewfree

• Cellarman
    • Jokesh Brewing
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 09:36:47 am »
I think I'm going to try Wyeast 4134 sake yeast in my 3 gallon cider batch coming up. I bought it to make sake but never got around to it so I figured I'd use it now before the viability is questionable.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 09:55:57 am »
I like either a champagne yeast or the Wyeast cider yeast.  My experience is that yeast strain doesn't make nearly as much difference in cider as it does in beer.  I've made and tasted ciders made with Belgian strains that can have a lot of character on beer, but in cider you'd never know it was a Belgian yeast.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline qmi6

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 07:34:35 pm »
I have used the Wyeast Cider Yeast several times and it works well.  I have used champagne yeast as well.  As expected the champagne yeast ends dry and bottles very well.  The cider yeast leaves a lot more fruit flavor in my opinion but doesn't bottle as nicely. 
I haven't taken the step of using champagne yeast to bottle since I've been worried that it will eat up more sugar than the cider yeast.  I just wait an extra month or so before enjoying.
In either case make sure you pitch a lot of healthy yeast.  It always seems to take a bit longer even with nutrient added for my ciders to get moving.

I like the idea of using Belgian yeast.  I guess I never really thought about using "beer yeast" for cider.  It makes a lot of sense if you are looking to add some other flavors with the yeast.  I should try a small batch.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 05:38:20 am »
Belgian yeast used in cider doesn't taste anything like beer with Belgian yeast.  Don't expect what you think you should expect.  It won't happen.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 06:56:09 am »
My experience is that yeast strain doesn't make nearly as much difference in cider as it does in beer.  I've made and tasted ciders made with Belgian strains that can have a lot of character on beer, but in cider you'd never know it was a Belgian yeast.

I agree. I've tried many yeasts and the characteristics listed for yeasts, wine or beer, don't really apply when fermenting something different, like apple juice. Those characteristics must depend on the presence of certain sugars and other compounds in wort or grape must.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 09:32:44 pm »
Depends if the juice is pasteurised/sulfited or not. If not, just let it ride and use the natural yeasts already present.

Else, Lalvin KV or EC work well.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 10:37:47 pm »
What a coincidence. I was at a friends tonight who moved here from England and he was commenting that cider here was sweeter than cider in Britain. Do all the yeasts make a dry cider that is back sweetened or do some yeasts finish drier than others?  I said I'd try a cider for him so this is a great thread to see active.
I was going to use unpasteurized cider pressed fresh from the orchards down the road. Any apples that are better than others?

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 06:59:00 am »
There is very little difference in residual sugars between yeast strains. Apple sugars are all simple and very fermentable, and the sugar content is low so there is no chance the alcohol content will max out as with wine or mead. Cidermakers trying to retain residual sweetness naturally do things contrary to yeast health in beer brewing - such as stripping out nutrients, underpitching yeast, and racking before fermentation is complete.  Other than that, the only option for most is killing the yeast, sweetening, and force carbonating.

Fresh cider from down the road is the best place to start. Taste the sweet cider, the better it tastes, the better the finished product.

Some apples are better than others, but that is a complex topic and the best varieties aren't widely grown anymore. Try here for more information.
http://www.ciderworkshop.com
AHA Member since 2006