Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Good Deal? - 30 qt. Polar Ware Kettle on Amazon  (Read 9790 times)

Offline livefreebrewfree

• Cellarman
    • Jokesh Brewing
Good Deal? - 30 qt. Polar Ware Kettle on Amazon
« on: December 30, 2011, 08:05:37 pm »
I'm kinda wary of buying some stuff online but this looks like a decent seller. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with them and if this is indeed a decent price for a 30 qt polarware brew kettle that includes valves and thermometer. Based on what I've found online and in person, this is way cheaper and still decent quality.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003EWPCSG/ref=sc_pgp__m_A1IKY8F5Y4VJKN_7?ie=UTF8&m=A1IKY8F5Y4VJKN&n=&s=&v=glance

All fittings are SS weldless with 1/2" threads and high temp silicone gaskets.
30 Quart Capacity
20 gauge Stainless Steel
1/2" NPT Weldless Compact valve with 3/8" flow port
Weldless thermometer

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Good Deal? - 30 qt. Polar Ware Kettle on Amazon
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 02:09:58 pm »
If you're doing full boils for five gallon batches, you'd probably be a lot happier with a 40 quart.  Does he make one of those?
Joe

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 02:43:33 pm »
I'd go with aluminum 40qt at a minimum and drill out the holes with a step bit. Then install the weld-less fittings. It's what I did for my 80qt. The valve and thermometer are probably worth $40 alone.

http://www.instawares.com/stock-pots.6853.3.6853.0.0.8.htm

IMO 30qt is too small for a full boil for a 5 gallon batch. That is a thumbs down.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 03:46:31 pm »
They offer a 42 qt. model too.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline livefreebrewfree

• Cellarman
    • Jokesh Brewing
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 05:43:27 pm »
Yep, full boil for 5 gallons. Used my buddy's 7.5 gal pot for a few batches and had no problems but of course I'd have problem as soon as I got my own I'm sure. I'd love to get a bigger one, but price is a factor which is why I won't be drilling out my own hole for the valves. $30-$40 for one bit for one hole doesn't make much sense to me. I"m thinking about the 8 gal Heavy Duty w/ball valve and thermometer coupler welded (32 qt) on MoreBeer.com. For $159 shipped that's not a bad deal.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/8419/103458/Heavy_Duty_Brew_Kettle_-_With_Ball_Valve_32_Quart_8_Gallon

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
Joe

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 07:27:29 pm »
I'd go with aluminum 40qt at a minimum and drill out the holes with a step bit. Then install the weld-less fittings. It's what I did for my 80qt. The valve and thermometer are probably worth $40 alone.

http://www.instawares.com/stock-pots.6853.3.6853.0.0.8.htm

IMO 30qt is too small for a full boil for a 5 gallon batch. That is a thumbs down.

+1     It's a pricy purchase, get what you'll need in a year or two. Full boil,trub loss, hop loss, future hopback hop loss. You could be looking at 8 gallon boils in no time- to end up with 5 gallons to drink, depending on your system. Harbor Freight has step bits for 12ish $ and  lots of places less than 20$ for a kettle valve and your in business. Why waste a thermometer on  your brew kettle? Great for mash tun or hlt but brew kettle-not necessary(and you'll want a bigger mash tun for sure). Check out bayou classic for stock pots. Farmhouse brew supply also has decent $ kettles

Offline livefreebrewfree

• Cellarman
    • Jokesh Brewing
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 12:31:28 am »
So I'm getting the feeling I should get something more along these lines.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/polar-ware-10-5-gallon-economy-kettle-w-ball-valve.html

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 01:20:11 pm »
So I'm getting the feeling I should get something more along these lines.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/polar-ware-10-5-gallon-economy-kettle-w-ball-valve.html

Perfect!

That's a pretty good price too.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline livefreebrewfree

• Cellarman
    • Jokesh Brewing
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 06:23:27 pm »
Whelp, I finally made a decision after driving my wife crazy all week while I was searching for a kettle. Found this puppy on Amazon, there were only two left in stock. I decided to save myself some cash right now and skipped the valve. I'll probably add a weldless one later on. Thanks for the info everyone.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AS90CK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=operationmarketing-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001AS90CK

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 06:42:28 pm »
Yeah, I think you'll be happy with that one.  Looks very similar to my 40-qt MegaPot that I've been using happily for years (and I've still not bothered with a valve nor a thermo).
Joe

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 07:55:24 pm »
Whelp, I finally made a decision after driving my wife crazy all week while I was searching for a kettle. Found this puppy on Amazon, there were only two left in stock. I decided to save myself some cash right now and skipped the valve. I'll probably add a weldless one later on. Thanks for the info everyone.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AS90CK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=operationmarketing-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001AS90CK

)

I bought the 32-quart version (because I do 3-gallon batches) and this is a great pot. You will like it. I may add a valve to mine later on. My only problem is that it's so well-clad that when I brew indoors, it can take a while for the boil to kick up, even on our power burner. But it cooks very evenly and is a nice-looking piece of equipment.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 10:25:22 pm »
My wife bought me a 10 gallon SS Vollrath stockpot and cover as a BD present around 15 years ago.  It was great.  However, I converted a 1/2 barrel (15.5 gal) sankey keg for my brew kettle (and another for my HLT).  I use a cooler for a mash tun, a la Denny Conn.

The stockpot and cover are now used as an "open" fermenter for fruit beers and meads.  It is perfect for 7 gallon primary fruit fermentations.  Just boil a covered inch or two of water in it for 15 minutes and it is sanitized and ready to ferment.  By open fermenter I mean the cover is placed on the stockpot and the carbon dioxide blows out from under the cover - no airlock needed.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 07:30:49 am »
I wish I would have seen this earlier.
I could have pointed you to this:
http://www.waresdirect.com/products/Restaurant-Supply/Update-International-/60-Qt168824

I bought 2 of them & added weldless valves, myself.
They're great.
If anyone else is looking for a kettle, I recommend them.
And...If you live in the Minneapolis area & need any help with your kettle drilling, pm me.
I'd be glad to help you with it.
I was terrified, on my first one.

Offline livefreebrewfree

• Cellarman
    • Jokesh Brewing
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 10:43:16 am »
I appreciate it though. But I don't think I would want to be lugging around a 60 qt. pot when I only plan on doing 5 gallon batches. I really don't see myself upgrading to 10 gallon batches anytime in the near future. But definitely great for anyone else looking. And if you ever find yourself in the Philly area, feel free to drop by and help me drill out my kettle!

I wish I would have seen this earlier.
I could have pointed you to this:
http://www.waresdirect.com/products/Restaurant-Supply/Update-International-/60-Qt168824

I bought 2 of them & added weldless valves, myself.
They're great.
If anyone else is looking for a kettle, I recommend them.
And...If you live in the Minneapolis area & need any help with your kettle drilling, pm me.
I'd be glad to help you with it.
I was terrified, on my first one.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 10:47:17 am by livefreebrewfree »