Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sweet potato bread, too much sugar?  (Read 4384 times)

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
Sweet potato bread, too much sugar?
« on: December 31, 2011, 11:25:47 am »
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/saras-secrets/sweet-potato-bread-with-pecans-recipe/index.html

Seriously, 2 1/3 cup in 2 loaves?  I think sweet potatoes have enough sugar, maybe 1/3 cup or so of brown sugar but... damn.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Sweet potato bread, too much sugar?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 12:17:13 pm »
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/saras-secrets/sweet-potato-bread-with-pecans-recipe/index.html

Seriously, 2 1/3 cup in 2 loaves?  I think sweet potatoes have enough sugar, maybe 1/3 cup or so of brown sugar but... damn.

It is a sweet bread. I wouldn't cut back too much. Try two cups. With all the other ingredients it shouldn't be too much.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 04:49:27 pm »
If you want to make a not sweet sweet potato bread just take any basic bread recipe and substitute boiled or roasted sweet potatoes pureed with some liquid for the water.

My wife does this all the time with lots of different things, beets, greens, squash. whatever.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 07:24:52 pm »

It is a sweet bread. I wouldn't cut back too much. Try two cups. With all the other ingredients it shouldn't be too much.

Yeah it turned out fine, I used 1c brown sugar and 1 1/3c white.  Didn't come out as sweet as I thought it would.

The sweet potato was less sweet than I'd expected.  By the way, the food mill worked awesomely for that:  chopped up and boiled the potatoes with skins, then ran them through the food mill on the medium sieve and it took the skins out and passed potato puree through.  Once in a while had to crank backwards (scrapes the sieve clear), push the stuff down into the blade with a spoon, crank forward.  It's dump and turn, but it's not a huge ordeal.

The food mill seems like it would be more convenient if I was making a friggin' ton of mashed potatoes.  Just keep feeding it boiled potatoes, and occasionally crank back and remove all the skins to keep it clear.  In small batches, things stick to the side and then you can just add more stuff and not worry about it... but you've added all two cups of food, and half of it's stuck to the side, and you need to push it down with a spoon.  Ten cups of food, just keep adding and worry about the last of it when you're nearly done.

Besides pumpkin or sweet potato paste sticking to things (what did you expect...), it's an awesome kitchen tool.  ;D

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 08:22:49 pm »
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 12:01:38 am »
You need a ricer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato_ricer

Looks less useful and more prone to clogging if you don't peel the potatoes, and then you have to dig the skins out with a fork.  Harder to clean.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 12:17:18 am »
You need a ricer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato_ricer

Looks less useful and more prone to clogging if you don't peel the potatoes, and then you have to dig the skins out with a fork.  Harder to clean.

Looks? ??? Ever use one? Easy to clean. Sounds like the foodmill is overkill in a minimalist kitchen. ;D