Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Partial Mash system  (Read 6433 times)

Offline krustybb

• Cellarman
  • Grab a Brew and Relax
Partial Mash system
« on: January 02, 2012, 10:45:29 am »
First off happy new year. My birthday is next weekend and I am going to brew a birthday IPA. I am doing a partial mash for the second time. I have been reading and watching videos and seems there are three or four different main partial mash techniques. I have been getting such great feedback and suggestions on this forum that I thought I would get all of your opinions. What system of partial mashing works the best. As far as efficiency and flavor. I will be using The following grain bill.

5 lbs    2-Row Brewers Malt; Briess
0.28 lbs    Caramel Malt 20L; Briess
0.32 lbs    2-Row Carapils® Malt; Briess
2 lbs    Dry Light; Muntons info
3.3 lbs    Liquid Amber Extract in

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Partial Mash system
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 11:25:25 am »
I would batch sparge. This'll give a pretty decent eff.

Remind us about your system? You make no mention as to your last approach.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline krustybb

• Cellarman
  • Grab a Brew and Relax
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 04:13:33 pm »
Okay, I used the mash system described in BYO Chris Colby article http://www.byo.com/component/resource/article/511-countertop-partial-mashing

I have a 5 gallon igloo cooler. I am working on trying to get some form of false bottom working in it. I didn't know if the mash in the pot on the stove would be better. Or another system all together. I am doing full boils in an 8 gallon brew pot.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 05:37:50 pm »
I have that little two gallon cooler. Does a decent batchsparge. The method demonstrated in the article ought to work well for you krusty. 
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline krustybb

• Cellarman
  • Grab a Brew and Relax
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 08:49:01 pm »
You're the man Euge thanks. Last time I seemed to loose to much heat on my mash temp. I think I have that figured out now. Well see, a birthday brew day has to turn out well.

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 09:02:02 am »
I used to do partial mashes in one of those 5 gallon coolers. They hold temp great. I improvised a false bottom by just putting the grain in a grain bag, and using a mash paddle to hold the bag away from the spigot as it drained.
Mark Gres

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 09:36:40 am »
I mash in a grain bag in my kettle on the stove.  I mash 5lbs of grain (including base and specialty malts/adjuncts) and typically get around 75% efficiency.

The mash needs to have some heat added occasionally to account for heat loss, since the kettle is not insulated.

As far as flavor and efficiency, this works well for me.  I've not tried another process, though I have thoughts about mashing in a cooler.  Someday perhaps.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline krustybb

• Cellarman
  • Grab a Brew and Relax
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 10:14:32 am »
Thanks guys. Good Idea with the mash paddle. I did have a hard time the first time with the spigot getting plugged. Also I did not seem to get very good filtering from my grain bed. I also had the grains in a bag.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 10:43:52 am »
Thanks guys. Good Idea with the mash paddle. I did have a hard time the first time with the spigot getting plugged. Also I did not seem to get very good filtering from my grain bed. I also had the grains in a bag.

I started AG with a bucket and grain bag and pulling or pushing the bag away from the spigot is really helpful. in terms of filtering, when you do it that way you are really countin gon the bag to provide much of the filtering, the grain bed still does but the bag is the final line of defense so to speak. maybe try a finer mesh bag.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline krustybb

• Cellarman
  • Grab a Brew and Relax
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 01:43:37 pm »
Your the man thanks.

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 06:36:35 am »
I have a 2gal cooler that I mash in.  I set it up with a SS braid and spigot.  Pretty cheap, and instructions are somewhere on this forum, or google.  Maybe about $20 all together.  I always batch sparge. 
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline krebsy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 08:06:11 am »
I partial mash in a 5 gallon igloo cooler.  I made a manifold from cpvc initially since I planned to fly sparge.  I've switched to batch sparging, but the manifold still works great.  Once I got my system set up properly in beer smith, my temps come out very close every time, and I lose very little heat during the mash.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 10:50:16 am »
I have a 2gal cooler that I mash in.  I set it up with a SS braid and spigot.  Pretty cheap, and instructions are somewhere on this forum, or google.  Maybe about $20 all together.  I always batch sparge. 

The spigot holes in the 2-gallon and 5-gallon Rubbermaid coolers are identical, by the by, so you can move your braid between the two.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member