Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Flaked Barley  (Read 3074 times)

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
Flaked Barley
« on: January 06, 2012, 09:00:28 am »
So, I've used flaked barley several times.  I never mill it.  I received my latest supply order and the consistency of the flaked barley looks different than previously.  Previously all of the flaked barely I have received looks just about like oatmeal.  This time it is a lot thicker and coarser, so I was wondering if I should mill it, or just throw it in the mash like I normally do?
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Flaked Barley
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 09:33:06 am »
You can probably go either way.  It won't hurt to mill it so err on the side of caution and run it through would be my advice.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 09:34:34 am »
Another option would be doing a cereal mash first & then add it to the regular mash. Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 10:29:08 am »
I wouldn't mill it, I find milling flaked grains really gums up mills.  I would check with the shipper on exactly what kind of flaked barley you got, and then do either a cereal mash or mash as normal depending on the answer.

Let us know what you decide and how it works out.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 10:32:18 am »
I wouldn't mill it, I find milling flaked grains really gums up mills.  I would check with the shipper on exactly what kind of flaked barley you got, and then do either a cereal mash or mash as normal depending on the answer.

I don't see why he'd need to do a cereal mash.  If the barley is flaked, it's already gelatinized the starches.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 10:36:26 am »

I don't see why he'd need to do a cereal mash.  If the barley is flaked, it's already gelatinized the starches.
You're right, but since it doesn't look like normal flaked barley I'm worried about the "if the barley is flaked" part.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 10:39:08 am »
I wouldn't mill it, I find milling flaked grains really gums up mills. 

Mixing it in with the rest of the grist before milling helps with this.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 10:54:28 am »

You're right, but since it doesn't look like normal flaked barley I'm worried about the "if the barley is flaked" part.

if it's flaked it should easily crumble between finger nails
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 04:45:53 pm »

if it's flaked it should easily crumble between finger nails
[/quote]

It didn't flake easily.  I actually went ahead and milled it, as I was away from my computer and just now saw all the replies,  and it didn't mill that easy.  But what's done is done, my system always sticks with flaked grains, so I added some rice hulls.  All should be good, gonna brew in the morning, RDWHAHB!  
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"