General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

PURE O2 vs. NATURAL AIR AERATION

(1/11) > >>

marcopolo:
Does using pure O2 offer any significant advantages over aerating with plain air ?  The only advantage I can see is that pure O2 only takes seconds to oxygenate the wort whereas natural air takes minutes.  Is that the only difference ?
Thanks,
Marco

denny:
I haven't done a side by side, but I can tell you that aerating with my MixStir I get results as good as friends who use O2.  If I didn't get that kind of result, I'd look at switching.  It only takes a couple minutes with the Mixstir.

tubercle:
My tiny mind tells me O2 is just that regardless of the source.

Kaiser:
The only problem with natural air is that you can’t get past 8-10 ppm. But this is what is recommended anyway. Even large lager breweries aerate with sterile air and must be getting to the recommended 12 ppm. I think this is because the wort is quite cold when they aerate.

I recently added a DO meter to my testing equipment and have started playing around with various aeration techniques. Here is data from a MixStir aeration:

Wort temp: 11 C
Gravity 11.5 Plato

Unaerated wort: 1.5 ppm DO (there is a lot of error in low DO readings, so don’t put too much into this.

30s MixStir, 2 min settling time: 5.2 ppm
another 30s MixStir, 2 min settling: 7 ppm
another 30s MixStir, 2 min settling: 7.6 ppm
additional 60s MixStir, 2 min settling: 8.0 ppm

Another batch with pure O2:

Wort temp 10C
Gravity 11.5 Plato

Unaerated: 1.6 ppm
1 min pure O2 -> 20 + ppm

In this case I maxed out the DO meter range. Based on earlier experiences with aerating starters with pure O2 I thought it would take much longer than 1 min to max out the DO meter. I’ll be oxygenating shorter next time around.

The advantage of air is that you cannot overaerate the wort. But I don’t necessarily like all that foam when using the MixStir. It makes it hard for me to see when low Kraeusen starts.

babalu87:
That tube with the holes in it on the end of my kettle to fermenter hose aerates the hell out of the wort.

Foam out the top everytime

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version