Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: More lager challenges  (Read 2998 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
More lager challenges
« on: December 29, 2011, 03:47:33 pm »
Today I kegged a lager fermented using Wyeast 2035 American Lager
The initial taste, uncarbonated is quite fruity.  Almost like a Kolsch more than a true lager taste.  Is this normal with this yeast?  The beer fermented for 3 weeks at about 50 F and then had a week long D rest at about 65 (I forgot to put it back in the cold after the weekend before I headed out for work again) and then has been lagering on the yeast for 4 weeks.  I finally got a keg free so I cleaned it out and kegged it.

Just wondered if this fruity profile seems normal.  I'm still looking for a lager yeast that gives me a nice crisp clean lager. 

I'm gonna try WLP800 next but it's now too cold to ferment in the cold room so I'm done lager brewing until spring.  Too cold in the cold room (34F), too warm in the basement (60-65F).  I may try another lager with ice in water but I'm admittedly still struggling to get a handle on making a decent lager. 

Tomorrow I'm going to try that Genessee Cream Ale recipe since I've got a big pitch of Wy2035 and that's what it calls for but I'm not sure how it'll go because I don't have flaked corn (gonna have to do a cereal mash with corn meal) and I'm gonna sub either Saaz or Hallertau for Liberty.  I know it is best to follow the recipe first but I'm back to work soon so I'm making due with what I've got until I can order more supplies.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: More lager challenges
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 09:19:53 pm »
About a year ago I did a split batch of CAP with 2124 and 2035 and I definitely got more fruity esters from the 2035.  So from your and my experience I'd say it's the yeast. 

I'd sub Hallertaur for Liberty.  Saaz is going to give you a different taste.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 07:01:31 am »
Tygo is correct on the hop substitution.  Liberty is a Hallertau Mittelfrueh derivative.  You can also use Mt. Hood, Ultra, Crystal, and Vanguard in place of Liberty.  These are all Hallertau Mittelfrueh derivatives, sisters if you want to call them that.

Saaz and its derivative Sterling are more spicy. 
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

wildknight

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 08:19:06 am »
I believe I can taste fruit in most light lagers once they are warm and flat.  I assumed it was a touch of munich in the recipe or some dark, fruity-like melanoidin from the boil.  It could be the yeast, though, as a lot of commercial brewers lager warm with pressure to try and suppress ester formation.  I don't think it is possible for replicating yeast to produce NO esters. 

Every time I use WLP028, I swear it has fruity character to it.  Then after 3-4 weeks at 32F, it loses it.  All that really happens during this period is that the very fine, non-flocculant yeast cells fall out.  I think they are the source of slight fruity flavors with some green beers.  I suppose some flavor compounds could oxidize below detectable levels, but 32 is pretty cold.

Try it again after you have carbonated and lagered it for a few weeks.  You may be surprised.   

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 05:42:40 pm »
2035 has a lot of character for a lager yeast.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 01:41:47 pm »
I concur.  I always thought 2035 being more woody than fruity, but I can see picking up fruity. It is one of the more complex lager yeasts available. I like it, though.

I brewed a couple of Pilsners last fall with the Staropramen yeast (2782), and to my surprise, both came out pretty fruity.  I'm not sure why.

For clean lager yeasts, I have always liked Ayinger (WLP 833) and Czech pils (2278).