Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First time brewer needs help!  (Read 4300 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: First time brewer needs help!
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 12:48:47 pm »
Great AHA links provided above. I also recommend reading "How To Brew" by John Palmer. One of the biggest mistakes made by beginner homebrewers is pitching the yeast when the wort is too hot and poor sanitation practices. Good sanitation practices are a requirement for producing good quality homebrewed beer.

Keep your questions coming...we're here to help. Welcome aboard!
Ron Price

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 12:53:53 pm »
Just do what many of us aspire to do and buy the complete Blichmann setup right off the bat.  It will kill your desire to always want more.

Yes, buy How to Brew by John Palmer.  Such a good book to start with.

Oh, BTW, I joke about the first line...  Or do I?
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 01:27:59 pm »
Cool! Thanks for all the advice.
 Im gonna ask for a proven recipe, i dont want to use a kit since it kinda defeats the purpose. I actually prefer ales so im gonna go that route. Lets hope it turns out decent enough!

Oh and ill be sure to ask about distilled and spring water use in extract beers

I started out using reverse osmosis water from the grocery store.  It worked great!  It's close to distilled but not quite as stripped of flavor.  Either work great but the RO was cheaper in my store.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 01:47:09 pm »
Don't rush!  You'll be chomping at the bit to taste your first brew, but the longer you wait the better.  I usually keep my beers in the primary for at least 10 days, if not longer.  If at tasting time, you're not happy, let the beer condition in the bottle another week.  You'd be surprised how much the flavor can mature with time.
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 02:02:29 pm »
Don't rush!  You'll be chomping at the bit to taste your first brew, but the longer you wait the better.  I usually keep my beers in the primary for at least 10 days, if not longer.  If at tasting time, you're not happy, let the beer condition in the bottle another week.  You'd be surprised how much the flavor can mature with time.

+1

my recommendation is to buy quite a bit of craft beer (enough to last 3-4 weeks) about the time you brew. If you always have beer in the fridge, you will be able to wait as the beer matures. If you run out of beer, it will be too tempting to grab a homebrew that isn't done conditioning.

also, if your LHBS makes their own kits, you might find those to be really nice for your fist couple batches. If they are making their own kits, you won't have the issues you can get with kit beers (Old yeast, old extract, Kit and Kilo, etc)

Overall, welcome to the obsession, once you try your first homebrew, there is no going back!

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 02:36:17 pm »
Basic Homebrewing: All the Skills and Tools You Need to Get Started (How To Basics) [Paperback]
Stacy Tibbetts (Editor), James Collins (Photographer), Jim Parker (Contributor)

i do agree with most of the book, reading, patience etc recommendation, but i have always believed that the above book is a fantastic start and reference. it is heavily picture oriented and it gives you a decent guide as to how he hobby progresses.  i loan this book out first.  then the more advanced books will make more sense as will this forum, including palmer's book and our own drew beechum's.
Don AHA member

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 04:33:32 pm »
Brew your second batch before your first one is ready to drink. Trust me...   
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2012, 08:39:15 am »
Where were all you guys 20 years ago when I started? I mostly learned from trial and error.

I'd go extract with the dry yeast. Today's dry yeast are pretty darn good. Use caution on the stove top, those boil overs are a PITA and really put the DW in a fowl mood.

I really enjoy brewing. When it's brew day, it's my day!!

Enjoy!

Bruce

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2012, 11:43:21 am »
Brew your second batch before your first one is ready to drink. Trust me...   

+10 for sure

The first batch will run out sooner than you ever expect for 5 gallons. I would even recommend brewing your third batch before your first one is ready to drink...