Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Homebrew Legalization  (Read 12360 times)

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Homebrew Legalization
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 08:05:06 pm »
If the Senator from Mississippi that killed the bill is known posting his name would be helpful for Mississippi residents.  Just in case they want to factor that in next time they head to the polls. 

Would you really not vote for a person based solely on their voting record related to alcohol bills?

Nope.  But if I was roughly 50/50 between two candidates it would be something to consider.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 11:13:04 pm »
Just a quick thanks to Gary and the AHA and all those involved. And Thanks for the update.
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 11:47:55 pm »
We're very excited in Oklahoma to win the first round. The only negative part of HB2348 is that it looks to put a stop to internet sales & shipping of alcohol into the state. >:(   
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 09:28:29 am »
Thanks for the updates, Gary.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 10:31:21 am »
We're very excited in Oklahoma to win the first round. The only negative part of HB2348 is that it looks to put a stop to internet sales & shipping of alcohol into the state. >:(   

Ahh, the law, she gives and she taketh away...

The sales and shipping bit I assume kills all alcohol including wine? Might be a response to the decision a few years back that you couldn't ban everything but wine.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 02:59:17 pm »
Jeff, I'm not sure where you get that HB 2348 does anything other than add beer to the list of beverages that can be legally produced for personal use. I just looked at the Oklahoma government website and it shows that the bill was not amended.  The document they show as being passed on to the Floor is: http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/2009-10bills/HB/HB2348_hflr.rtf.  The bill shows the existing code with additions to the code underlined (adds the word beer in a couple of places) and subtractions with strike-through text (the word "of").  Anything else in the bill text is the statute as it is currently written.

Rep. Schwartz did consider adding language that would mirror the Federal statute authorizing beer made for personal use that specifically allows for homebrew to be serve at events and competitions, but decide that leaving it as a parity issue (i.e. granting beer made for personal use the same exemption from taxation that wine and cider already enjoy) would make passage of the bill more likely.

Gary
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 02:24:27 pm »
You can find the Brewers Association's latest legislative update on the world of beer at: www.brewersassociation.org/pages/government-affairs/monthly-legal-brief.

For those of you in Alabama, keep up the pressure on the Senate Rules Committee to get a hearing for SB153!  To see the Action Alert with the details on what to do, go to http://www.beertown.org/email/sylb/AL2_10_2010.htm.

Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline casey1111

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2010, 12:47:36 pm »
Alabama's SB153 Homebrew Legalization bill passed the Senate yesterday.  Now (whenever..), it goes to the House for a vote.

More Info here

(note: url links to freethehops.org.  Free The Hops is .not. affiliated with this bill other than supporting its passage)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 01:00:07 pm by casey1111 »

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2010, 03:20:23 pm »
Congrats to the Alabama homebrewers, it took a lot of calls, faxes, letters, etc., but it paid off!  Now we get to start over again in the House.

See my blog on Tuesday's action in the Alabama Senate: http://bit.ly/aU7bkJ or you can find it on the home page of HomebrewersAssociation.org.

Also in our sights: Oklahoma, Michigan (to allow homebrew to be served at events at breweries), and potentially Louisiana. 

In Mississippi, homebrewers are already looking to start educating legislators on our craft in preparation for the 2011 legislative session.  Now that's dedication!

More to come...
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2010, 09:33:27 am »
In Mississippi, homebrewers are already looking to start educating legislators on our craft in preparation for the 2011 legislative session.  Now that's dedication!

More to come...

unfortunately, it's hard to educate a tee-totaler that sees nothing but evil in any form of alcohol and would rather see it be completely abolished rather than expanded on.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2010, 10:03:51 am »
i filed a complaint with the aclu.  not sure what that will do, but they told me to file one.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2010, 03:45:19 pm »
The AHA sent out three Action Alerts this morning to members in Alabama, Oklahoma and Michigan.

In Alabama, the bill to legalize homebrewing, SB 153, is to be heard by the Travel and Tourism Committee in the House this Wednesday.  The bill has already passed the Senate.  Alabama residents should check out the Alert at www.beertown.org/email/sylb/AL2_26_2010.htm for instructions on how they can help.  Send the link to anyone you know if Alabama who will support the cause of legalizing homebrewing.

In Oklahoma, it's looking like the homebrew legalization bill HB 2348 could be going to a vote before the Full House sometime this week at the earliest.  See www.beertown.org/email/sylb/OK_2_26_2010.htm for the Alert we sent.  If the bill passes the House, it will then move on to the Senate.  Spread the word to anyone you know in Oklahoma.

In Michigan, HB 5613 has a public hearing scheduled before the Michigan Liquor Control Commission.  The bill would allow for homebrew to be served at licensed breweries in the state for homebrew club meetings and homebrew competitions (it is currently illegal to serve homebrew at licensed breweries).  In order for this bill to move forward, the LCC needs to be convinced to support it.  Michigan residents can find instructions on what they can do to help at www.beertown.org/email/sylb/MI_2_26_2010.htm.

For those of you who live outside of those states, the best thing you can do to help is to spread the word to anyone you know in those states.  It could actually be detrimental to these efforts to have non-residents calling legislators.  So even if you are so inclined, it's best not to make calls to legislators on issues in other states.

Thanks to all of the homebrewers in Alabama, Michigan and Oklahoma who have already done so much to move these bills forward, your efforts are paying off!

Gary
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline gail

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2010, 06:27:38 pm »
Gary--are you able to address in this forum the "wording" issues the LCC is having with the Michigan legislation as you alluded to in your email?  I'm curious if there are particular sticking points or just a generalized lack of support from them as I'd like to focus on that in my contact to them.  If this isn't the best use of Forum space then is there clarification that can be emailed to the Michigan homebrewers?
Much thanks,
Gail

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2010, 10:22:45 pm »
FYI... HB2348 to legalize homebrewing in Oklahoma passed the house this morning by a vote of 76 to 19. Now it's headed to the senate where we've already found a favorable sponsor. As they say, "One down, one to go...!"  Keeping fingers crossed while gripping 'illicit' pint of homebrew!  :P

OFALR (Oklahomans for Alcohol Law Reform)
http://ofalr.com/?p=248
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline bayoubrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2010, 01:50:36 pm »
Also in our sights: Oklahoma, Michigan (to allow homebrew to be served at events at breweries), and potentially Louisiana.

Louisiana is doing better than just a "potentially" ;).
I have a House sponsor for the bill and the support of the Beer League of Louisiana (wholesalers) and the ATC Commissioner.  The bill to make homebrewing expressly legal (no wording for exemptions in current law), allow transport and tasting at organized events, and to allow serving homebrew at licensed establishments is currently being drafted.  The only concern from the ATC is that allowing for entry fees into events where homebrew is served must be carefully worded to state that the homebrewers receive none of the funds.  He also wants event permits for events where homebrew will be served so that they can be aware of it.  Both are minor issues in my opinion and will require careful wording by the people who do that kind of thing.  The bill should be drafted by the end of next week and filed shortly after that.  I will keep everyone updated about when to contact your reps and the committee members who will be reviewing the bill.  Let's keep the momentum moving.

Cheers,
Mike