Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottle conditioning  (Read 5892 times)

Offline Lenk

• 1st Kit
Bottle conditioning
« on: January 07, 2012, 08:01:07 am »
How long do you need to bottle condition? When kegging, do you still condition?
Hinterhof Brewing  (Backyard Brewing)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
Re: Bottle conditioning
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 08:28:52 am »
I don't know anything about kegging. But how long you need to bottle condition varies from beer to beer. A wheat is ready a week or two after bottling. A stout or porter takes a month at the very least. In my opinion most beers are best a month after they have been bottled. I have only been doing this stuff for 2 years there are many on here that are far more experienced and knowledgeable than I am.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 09:19:28 am »
i agree with one month.  i'll usually test one about two weeks in but still wait another couple of weeks before full enjoyment.  i've actually brewed a few porters that were amazing after 6-8 weeks.  though the last couple of really hoppy stuff started losing the hop kicks after about 8 weeks or so.   

i'd just try one each week for a couple of weeks and see what you like.  if your palate is super happy after 2 two weeks or 8 weeks i don't think it really matters too much.  it's your beer.

cheers.

rpl
apertureales

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 10:24:51 pm »
For me, I find Wheats are best in the range of 2 weeks and start to diminish after 2 months. IPA's are best 1 to 3 months. Stouts, porters, dark specialties all get better with age. I made a holiday spiced porter 18 months ago that gets better everytime I have one. Basically, each style has a different condition time that's optimal. Just experiment and find your preferences for each.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 11:53:09 pm »
I start drinking my wheats after three days in the bottle. But that's after 3 weeks in primary. Unless it's a strong beer you should be drinking within two months. Let your tastebuds be the decider.

Some beers are best a few weeks in- conditioning usually benefits beer. How long that is is up to you!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis