Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: shelf stable eggs  (Read 8798 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
shelf stable eggs
« on: January 05, 2012, 12:27:07 pm »
If one were to hard boil an egg, lets say even in a pressure cooker at 240*, then immediatly dip it in wax at a similar temp do you suppose that egg would be shelf stable?

Just purely out of curiosity, I am not going to try it.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: shelf stable eggs
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 12:35:31 pm »
If one were to hard boil an egg, lets say even in a pressure cooker at 240*, then immediatly dip it in wax at a similar temp do you suppose that egg would be shelf stable?

Something similar is done in Asia where they pack the eggs in a special mud. I think the mud has a lot of "lime" or soda ash in it  the environment very alkaline. The eggs are eaten form months to years.

Sounds nasty though.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 12:58:19 pm »

I love the way this question is displayed, beside your smiling face (avatar).
For some reason, it just struck me as very humorous.
Almost as if you're daring someone to try it.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 01:03:53 pm »
I think you should try it and report back.

What's the worst that could happen?
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 02:05:00 pm »
well it's not fair to let BFI have all the fun.

not going to try it.

euge, Yeah I think that's what got me started thinking about it. 1000 year old eggs.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 03:26:50 pm »
Might work, not sure how permeable wax is. The egg should be very sanitary after boiling though. I am doubtful the pressure cooking would be positive from a culinary point of view.

I am a big fan of 1000 year eggs in general. They are not particularly gross (one of those things where the idea or the name or the appearance is what is gross, not the actual flavor or texture). They can be a bit on the sulfury side but preparation can usually take care of that.

McGee has a procedure where you use a brine rather than the mud cake and the result is not excessively sulfury and the white is clear and the yolk is bright yellow (so, much better looking than normal). Been meaning to try that since I read On Food and Cooking a couple of years ago.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 03:59:53 pm »
Might work, not sure how permeable wax is. The egg should be very sanitary after boiling though. I am doubtful the pressure cooking would be positive from a culinary point of view.

I am a big fan of 1000 year eggs in general. They are not particularly gross (one of those things where the idea or the name or the appearance is what is gross, not the actual flavor or texture). They can be a bit on the sulfury side but preparation can usually take care of that.

McGee has a procedure where you use a brine rather than the mud cake and the result is not excessively sulfury and the white is clear and the yolk is bright yellow (so, much better looking than normal). Been meaning to try that since I read On Food and Cooking a couple of years ago.

I guess the permeability of the wax would be key. Never had a 1000 year egg myself. eaten pickled eggs (and I kinda liked it to be honest)
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 04:46:01 pm »
Hmmm.  Seems to me that wax is still permeable(sp?)  Still might be interesting to try just for schitz and grins though.   ;D

Kinda makes me wonder what an egg pickled in a mild beer might taste like... say a few weeks sitting in the bottom of a keg.  When the keg blows, well you get a few more surprises(sp?) who knows they might even help settle the yeast out too?! 

OMG... everything looks like its spelled wrong now!  bleh!   ???   :D

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 04:54:36 pm »

Kinda makes me wonder what an egg pickled in a mild beer might taste like... say a few weeks sitting in the bottom of a keg.  When the keg blows, well you get a few more surprises(sp?) who knows they might even help settle the yeast out too?! 

Hmmm... what kind of fart would it produce, egg fart or beer fart.  Or would it be a newfart?   :D ::)

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 06:45:50 pm »
Here are some shelf stable eggs: http://amzn.to/yJC7o3

Probably wouldn't be very tasty to eat in existing form though

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 07:01:00 pm »
I don't know about shelf-stable, but I do know about backpack-stable.  I routinely carry hardboiled eggs for camping trips up to a week without any problems.  I carry two to a ziplock bag with the air sucked out.  Once I open the ziplock I eat both eggs within the same day.  They are always gone by the end of the week.  I would not try to store them longer than that.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 07:54:38 pm »
1. I love pickled eggs. They're in one of the Tubercle Food Group classifications.

2. I have tried pressure cooking them before. Something weird happens to them. A very strange texture and even stranger taste. They are much better battered and deep fried.

3. You know I'm going to have to try the wax thing now. I wish Y'all would quit giving me these ideas.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 08:07:58 pm »
They are much better battered and deep fried.

Battered deep fried eggs?  Do you wrap them in bacon first?
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 08:19:35 pm »
They are much better battered and deep fried.

Battered deep fried eggs?  Do you wrap them in bacon first?

Bacon works well, just hold it place with a tooth pick.

A better way is to roll a thin layer of sausage around it, then batter and fry.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

narvin

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 08:32:20 pm »
What about shelf stable meat? Autoclave some ground beef, vacuum seal, and enjoy!