Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A few newbie questions  (Read 11481 times)

Offline anje

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lafayette, IN
Re: A few newbie questions
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2012, 11:06:37 am »
New question: What is the advantage of doing a full boil over a partial boil?

Note that this is purely academic (for now). My brew pot is too small for a full boil, and I doubt my electric stove could handle it. 
<-- microbiologist brewster n00b.

Hops and toothpaste don't mix.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2012, 11:17:24 am »
So that there isn't as much darkening of the wort and the possible flavor changes that come with this. Maillard reaction.

Plus, you get better hop utilization.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline anje

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lafayette, IN
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2012, 02:13:40 pm »
I'm getting antsy.  I want to try my beer already!  Do you think I can bottle my English Pale Ale after 1.5 weeks in the fermenter, or should I give it a full 2 weeks?  Or longer (in which case, I think I may have to press the 5 gal carboy into service as another primary fermenter with a blowoff tube)?  The part of me arguing for bottling sooner keeps saying that the style is supposed to be made and consumed rather rapidly, but I don't know if this is valid or just my impatience.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2012, 02:17:05 pm »
Take a gravity reading and see where it is.  Do this for three consecutive days, and if the readings don't change then you can bottle.  Of course, by then you will have waited 2 weeks, but in the mean time you can drink the hydrometer samples :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline anje

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lafayette, IN
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2012, 06:59:39 pm »
You're probably right....   :P  

Star-San solutions need replaced when a precipitate forms, right? My sanitizer spray bottle has white particles in the bottom now.  What extends its life? Refrigeration, protection from light?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2012, 07:25:43 pm »
Go ahead and bottle some of it up. You ought to taste the beer as it goes through its transformation and conditioning all stages.

Most likely the primary attenuative phase is over and it is safe to bottle. Full carbonation is usually achieved within three days at 65-70F depending on situation and type of beer.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2012, 07:49:43 pm »

Star-San solutions need replaced when a precipitate forms, right? My sanitizer spray bottle has white particles in the bottom now.  What extends its life? Refrigeration, protection from light?

My StarSan solutions seem to last just about forever.  The primary thing I've heard causing premature precipitate is using water with too many minerals in it to mix your solution.  Is your water pretty hard?  Maybe try mixing up your next batch with store bought water?
Joe

Offline anje

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lafayette, IN
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2012, 08:31:44 pm »

My StarSan solutions seem to last just about forever.  The primary thing I've heard causing premature precipitate is using water with too many minerals in it to mix your solution.  Is your water pretty hard?  Maybe try mixing up your next batch with store bought water?
Yeah, my water is extremely hard. Tastes a bit like drywall, too. 

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2012, 11:09:13 pm »
You're probably right....   :P 

Distilled water will help it last longer then.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline goudron

• Cellarman
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2012, 03:41:17 pm »
Distilled water will help it last longer then.
Do Star San solutions made from distilled water ever get precipitates?  Is hard water actually necessary to use presence of precipitates as an indicator of needing to replace the solution?  I checked Five Star's site, but I don't see any mention of shelf life of the concentrate or diluted solutions.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2012, 04:12:26 pm »
Do Star San solutions made from distilled water ever get precipitates?  Is hard water actually necessary to use presence of precipitates as an indicator of needing to replace the solution?  I checked Five Star's site, but I don't see any mention of shelf life of the concentrate or diluted solutions.
A diluted solution made from distilled water should last indefinitely in a sealed container.  If it is picking up precipitates, it is probably from the stuff you are putting into the solution.  With distilled, there is not really anything to precipitate out.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline anje

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lafayette, IN
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2012, 07:51:33 pm »
Bottled the first batch.  Tasted it after taking a hydrometer reading -- it's got a bit of a banana flavor right at first, maybe some harsher bitterness later that I hope cleans up a bit in the bottle conditioning.  (It's entirely possible I'm just not a fan of those hops flavors, too.)  No diacetyl that's obvious to me, nor anything really skunky or off, so I'm rather pleased.  We'll see how it tastes after a little time in the bottles!

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2012, 08:39:43 pm »
Congratulations! You made beer!

Great feeling, isn't it :)
Joe