Duck
2 (18.2%)
Goat (stew meat)
3 (27.3%)
No Pants
2 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: January 21, 2012, 12:27:15 am

Author Topic: What should I BBQ?  (Read 4654 times)

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
What should I BBQ?
« on: January 07, 2012, 12:27:15 am »
OK, Vote for what I should do in the Egg, don't forget to give a recipe for your vote. I have pieces of turkey and chicken. The duck is whole so keep that in mind. Goat is only stew meat pieces,

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: What should I BBQ?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 02:26:35 am »
OK I vote for the goat.

Braise the goat with oranges. Then crisp the braised goat up in the egg and serve on tortillas with cilantro and/or pico de gallo.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 11:01:15 am »
I vote for the turkey but have to brine it overnight. Use a hot smoke 325ish for roughly 3hrs. Use about a 12lb bird, that will be ideal IMO.

Here's a recipe for apple-brined turkey.

1 12-14 lb turkey
2 quarts apple juice
1 lb brown sugar
1 cup kosher salt
3 quarts water
3 oranges, quartered
4 ounces fresh ginger, sliced thin
15 whole cloves
6 bay leaves
6 large garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
vegetable oil or melted, unsalted butter
Combine apple juice, brown sugar, and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve. Boil for one minute, remove from heat, let mixture come to room temperature, then refrigerate to 40*F.

In a large non-reactive container, combine the apple juice mixture with the remaining ingredients and stir. Place rinsed, drained whole turkey into the brine. Use a heavy weight to keep the bird submerged, if necessary.

Refrigerate for 24 hours. Remove turkey from brine, rinse inside and out, and pat dry with paper towels. Fold wing tips under the bird. Brush outside surface with vegetable oil or melted butter.

Cook at 325-350*F to 160-165*F in the breast, 170-175*F in the thigh, approximately 2-1/2 to 3 hours. Cover loosely with foil and let rest 30 minutes before carving.

Recipe courtesy of Chris Allingham

I've made this recipe many times and it is absolutely farkin awesome!
Ron Price

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 12:23:40 pm »
OK I vote for the goat.

Braise the goat with oranges. Then crisp the braised goat up in the egg and serve on tortillas with cilantro and/or pico de gallo.

I'm with euge here.  I might smoke the goat first at 180F for an hour or so to get more smoke flavor, then braise, then back on the Egg to crisp.  I also would definitely split the goat, and take the other half in a Greek direction. 

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 08:58:57 pm »
Ron any change in the recipe if it is a heritage breed turkey?

Did BBQ chicken and corn on the cob tonight!

Corn was from the garden this past summer.

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 09:55:15 pm »
Jim what wood to smoke with?  Euge thoghts on this?

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 10:32:22 pm »
I like oak or hickory. Pecan is a type of hickory and I use it a lot. Imparts a nice flavor.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 10:53:59 pm »
I like oak or hickory. Pecan is a type of hickory and I use it a lot. Imparts a nice flavor.

I sure miss having oak.  When I lived in Central Florida I had all the oak I could stand for free.  Lots of kiawe, waiawi, and ohia here, but not a twig of oak anywhere.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 11:14:36 pm »

I sure miss having oak.  When I lived in Central Florida I had all the oak I could stand for free.  Lots of kiawe, waiawi, and ohia here, but not a twig of oak anywhere.

Never messed around with anything exotic except a lot of mesquite. I seem to remember you having nice things to say about your local wood.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 11:56:27 pm »
None of those are exotic here.  Common as oak is in Central Florida.  All three taste very good, I just miss the flavor of oak smoke sometimes.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 12:14:54 am »
I'll send you some.

PM me.

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 03:29:17 am »
Jim what wood to smoke with?  Euge thoghts on this?

Hickory, my fave, for density.  Fruit woods for a lighter smokiness.  Mesquite for an ashtray effect. ;D I say this because a friend brought some mesquite smoked pepperoni-type sticks to work that he had sent to him from Texas.  Maybe they were just over-smoked, I don't know, but the harsh smokiness wouldn't leave my mouth for hours.  Reminds me of an old timer's remark that "mesquite smells like it came from the devil's a** crack".  I concur.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 07:37:09 am »
Ron any change in the recipe if it is a heritage breed turkey?

Good question...I have never tried it so I don't have an answer for you.

They are a richer tasting turkey so that should be considered.
Ron Price

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 08:30:10 am »
If those were my only choices I'd smoke the goat meat and use it in a big pot of chili.  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 10:36:19 am »
Mesquite is better for grilling not smoking.

Now for a simple chicken- butterfly (spatchcock) by cutting the spine out, flatten, pat dry and let rest for 24 hours uncovered in the fridge to further dry.

Make a compound butter with fresh herbs. Work the butter under the skin. Salt and pepper the bird. Place in 350F Egg skin side up for about an hour to an hour and a half- turning once or twice if desired.

When it is done remove from egg.