Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blonde ale  (Read 4260 times)

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
Blonde ale
« on: January 07, 2012, 08:52:48 am »
Ive decided to brew a blonde ale for a local competition in march and was thinking of using a perle hops.  From what I've read I shouldn't go too heavy on the late additions but I'm wondering if it would be better to mix the perle with Saaz or hallertauer?  I think all perle would definitely be unique.  Thoughts?
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Blonde ale
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 09:12:55 pm »
Blonde ale is a great opportunity to learn about hops.  If you're interesting in finding out what Perle hops taste like, go with all Perle.  I'm sure it will turn out excellent.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 06:41:00 am »
Blonde ale is a great opportunity to learn about hops.  If you're interesting in finding out what Perle hops taste like, go with all Perle.  I'm sure it will turn out excellent.

Cool, thanks.  I really want to get away from the hops I usually use.  I may mix it with some saaz, not sure yet.  The grain bill will be 2-Row and Vienna so I'll see what my LHBS has in stock. 
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 11:09:10 pm »
Saaz plays well with Perle. but a blonde with all perle would be good, How did you roll?

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 06:36:50 pm »
Saaz plays well with Perle. but a blonde with all perle would be good, How did you roll?

Decided to add some Saaz.  I got to my LHBS and it basically stared me in the face when I went to open the hop fridge so I took that as a sign I should add it lol. 

Just took a gravity reading and tasted the hydrometer sample.  I am very pleased.  It will make a tasty session beer.
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline dtblank

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 07:09:45 pm »
I did a cream ale with all perle hops and loved them in it.  Thinking of doing a pilsner with all perle.

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 10:33:20 pm »
I did a cream ale with all perle hops and loved them in it.  Thinking of doing a pilsner with all perle.

What type of pils, hoping to hear German or CAP?

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 06:43:13 am »
Update on this recipe. 

This beer carbed up and was drinkable in less time than I expected, and it's delicious.  You get a little up front hop flavor from some late addition Perle/Saaz, but it's not overpowering at all.  It's very smooth.  The Vienna malt gives it some nice depth.  The beer finishes really clean.  I've let a few people try it and they really like it.  At just over 4% ABV it's a good session beer.  Really happy with the way this one came out.  I may tweak a few things next time, but I will definately brew it again.
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 10:07:26 pm »
I get alot of really earthy flavors with perle. Potting soil to be exact. I suggest a light hand unless you are familiar with this strain.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 11:07:11 am »
I get alot of really earthy flavors with perle. Potting soil to be exact. I suggest a light hand unless you are familiar with this strain.

I used German Perle.  My LHBS told me I'd get some odd flavors with American Perle.  (Dirt and Mint i think were the terms he used). 
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 11:56:03 am »
It may be OK for you--as long as you're not using 100% peated malt (reportedly tastes like an "open grave") ;)

Personally, I stay away from any hop described as "earthy"--I just don't like the taste.