Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Getting started.  (Read 2416 times)

Offline patsfanjm

• 1st Kit
Getting started.
« on: January 12, 2012, 02:31:46 pm »
I have brewed two batches of beer. A stout and a california steam, extract w/ specialty grains, with some success. Now whats my next move? I would love to get an all grain setup but i think my money may be better spent on a firmwrap and a temp controller. And  bang for my buck im thinking about an O2 regulator with a diffusing stone.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: Getting started.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 02:36:08 pm »
Look at Denny's site.  You can get into all grain brewing without a huge investment in equipment.  www.dennybrew.com
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 02:42:47 pm by dannyjed »
Dan Chisholm

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 02:44:20 pm »
you can get in to all grain very simply even if you can't  make the cooler and toilet hose you can use the grain bag in the kettle or even in a cooler as a tun then just pull it out. keep going, read,  and make equipment adjustments as needed.
Don AHA member

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 02:58:24 pm »
I'd say that temp control is a bigger priority for you than AG.  It will improve your extract beers and you'll still need it when you go AG.  Take a look at my website www.dennybrew.com for the Cheap'n'Easy way to go AG.  You can start planning now and building the equipment as time and budget allow.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 03:41:48 pm »
I have brewed two batches of beer. A stout and a california steam, extract w/ specialty grains, with some success. Now whats my next move? I would love to get an all grain setup but i think my money may be better spent on a firmwrap and a temp controller. And  bang for my buck im thinking about an O2 regulator with a diffusing stone.

Agreed you should check Denny's site, and explore YouTube.  I learned a TON when I first started to consider AG a few years ago.

The temp controller will definitely help, but the O2 and diffusing stone, IMHO, should be way down on your list.  You can properly aerate without the need for O2. 

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 09:08:24 pm »
the O2 and diffusing stone, IMHO, should be way down on your list.  You can properly aerate without the need for O2. 

Agree.  The shake the hell out of it method worked just fine for me for my first 20 batches or so.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 09:21:54 pm »
I'd say that temp control is a bigger priority for you than AG.  It will improve your extract beers and you'll still need it when you go AG.  Take a look at my website www.dennybrew.com for the Cheap'n'Easy way to go AG.  You can start planning now and building the equipment as time and budget allow.
Yeah! What Denny said! My beer improved considerably when I got fermentation temps consistent.  I'd say thats the most important first equipment upgrade a brewer should make after they have their initial set up.
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 11:18:15 pm »
Congrats on the two batches. Hope they are drinking well.

Temp control should be one of the first things tackled. It's critical. Unless you have some sort of stable cellar with temps's in the low 60's year round. :D

A drill with the $3 paint stirrer will aerate wort just fine. RDWHAHB. Concentrate on brewing consistent good beer then tackle the all-grain process. It's another kettle of fish entirely, fraught with heartbreak and confusion. But it's fairly straightforward once you learn all the variables and what to do.

Welcome to the obsession!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 01:25:04 am »
What's the hurry?  Practice a while.  Brew a few more batches and Ninkasi will reveal the path she wants you to follow.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 07:27:38 am »
What's the hurry?  Practice a while.  Brew a few more batches and Ninkasi will reveal the path she wants you to follow.

+1.  Have to agree with punatic and euge.  Brew some good extract beer, read up to understand the process and what will be different with AG and then take the plunge.  There is no rush.
Dave Zach