Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Options for corked bottles  (Read 3891 times)

Offline krustybb

• Cellarman
  • Grab a Brew and Relax
Options for corked bottles
« on: December 21, 2011, 08:17:23 pm »
A friend gave me a bunch of chimay style bottles that were corked origionally. I do not want buy a corker. Guy at my brew store has some plastic champagne stoppers and wire cages he said might work. What do you all think. Can I use these?

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Options for corked bottles
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 10:10:07 pm »
I've used them - they work fine, seem to hold pressure, and they sure are easy to insert.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 10:37:26 pm »
You"ll be fine with the plastic corks, especially if you use the wire ties. I use the Chimay type bottles frequently.  I did, however, buy a cheap corker for 25$. About the same as I paid for plastic corks, cages, and a wire puller...
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 10:43:26 pm »
You can push these type corks in by hand or does one need a rubber mallet to wack them in?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 06:33:07 am »
I would not use the plastic corks without wire ties.  There is very little friction between the plastic cork and glass bottle and I've had them shoot off once the wire tie was removed.

These are easily pushed in by hand.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline krustybb

• Cellarman
  • Grab a Brew and Relax
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 06:54:24 am »
Thanks fr all the info. Great now I can save time and money.

narvin

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 06:58:23 am »
Bring a Chimay bottle to the store and check the fit before you buy.  The opening size on Belgian bottles seem to vary, but they are always a little bit bigger than champange bottles.  I tried the plastic champagne corks once and they were too loose to fit the bottles I had.

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 07:10:29 am »
Bring a Chimay bottle to the store and check the fit before you buy.  The opening size on Belgian bottles seem to vary, but they are always a little bit bigger than champange bottles.  I tried the plastic champagne corks once and they were too loose to fit the bottles I had.

+1.  I've used the plastic corks before and only about 1/2 the bottles held carbonation.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline krustybb

• Cellarman
  • Grab a Brew and Relax
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 03:37:15 pm »
Okay I bought wire ties and some plastic\real crok hybrid things. We will see how it works. It seemed to have tight fit when I brought the bottle to the store. I will try just a couple with this batch and see how it goes.

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 01:16:37 pm »
"plastic\real crok hybrid things"

What are these? Are you talking about the plastic champagne corks or something else? The reason I ask is that I noticed some Belgian brewers are now using a synthetic cork on thier bottles. I got in touch with the manufacturer and they said they were not importing to the US yet. Maybe they have started.

A warning on the plastic champagne corks. I used them when I first started bottle conditioning Belgian beer. Over half the bottles ended up with no carbonation even though I could see krausen had gotten up into the corks. On further inspection I noticed tiny cracks in the corks that did not have carbonation.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 04:03:17 am »
Bump.

I still would like to know about those rubber/hybrid corks.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout