Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: torrified vs malted wheat  (Read 13327 times)

Offline bbump22

• Assistant Brewer
    • Bump City Brews
torrified vs malted wheat
« on: January 09, 2012, 06:31:45 pm »
I use raw wheat as opposed to malted wheat in my beers since i can get it free at work.  Does raw white wheat (torrified) contribute a significant sweetness to the beer compared to malted wheat?  I know it provides body and head retention, but is their any flavor contributions or differences between the two?

Thanks!
mmmm....beer

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: torrified vs malted wheat
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 06:54:48 pm »
Taste them side by side. Malted wheat tastes a more toasty and perhaps a bit more bready bready. If you are only using them in small portions you may not notice much difference. Obviously torrified wheat has no enzymes so you must mash it in presence of malt.

Offline wiley

• Cellarman
  • Great beer - built from the ground up!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 09:23:57 pm »
Just for reference, torrified wheat <> raw wheat. Torrifed wheat is pre-gelatinzed (similar to flaked cereals), so you shouldn't need to do a cereal mash. Unmalted wheat, on the other hand, will benefit from step / cereal mashes IF you're counting on fermentables from the wheat. If not, single infuse your brewday away -- just beware that with higher concentrations of unmalted wheat and no step / cereal mash, you'll be more prone to stuck sparges.

There's a really good Brewing Network Podcast with Stan Hieronymus who wrote 'Brewing with Wheat'. Interesting podcast, but if you're looking get deeper into the subject, don't count on the podcast -- you'll have to buy the book!

Edit:

Corrected 'unmalted wheat' -- proofread is great, eh?!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 10:47:53 pm by wiley »

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 10:41:12 pm »
Just for reference, torrified wheat <> unmalted wheat. Torrifed wheat is pre-gelatinzed (similar to flaked cereals), so you shouldn't need to do a cereal mash. Unmalted wheat, on the other hand, will benefit from step / cereal mashes IF you're counting on fermentables from the wheat. If not, single infuse your brewday away -- just beware that with higher concentrations of unmalted wheat and no step / cereal mash, you'll be more prone to stuck sparges.

There's a really good Brewing Network Podcast with Stan Hieronymus who wrote 'Brewing with Wheat'. Interesting podcast, but if you're looking get deeper into the subject, don't count on the podcast -- you'll have to buy the book!

flaked wheat does = unmalted wheat. it does not = raw wheat. raw wheat does indeed require a cereal mash torrified wheat does not.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce