Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Aggressive fermenting question???  (Read 1840 times)

Offline madduck

• 1st Kit
Aggressive fermenting question???
« on: January 09, 2012, 05:59:11 am »
Working on my 2nd batch ever. (an IPA) It seems to be fermenting much more aggressively than my 1st batch. (a Bock) Suds are coming out of the airlock and the vodka that I used  is now a very nice beer color. I have 5 gal. in a 6.8 gal bucket.  Should I be concerned?
My wife says I'm living proof that the "Buffalo Herd" theory requires "more research".  I don't git it.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Aggressive fermenting question???
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 06:18:46 am »
My biggest concern would be that the airlock gets clogged, pressure builds up, and you wind up with beer on the ceiling. I'd replace the airlock with a blowoff tube. The beer itself is fine though, this is normal.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 07:16:18 am »
Yep, pretty normal.  Remember, ales (your IPA) ferment much more aggressively than lagers (your bock).  Blowoff tube is the right idea to keep your beer off the ceiling.
Joe

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 08:04:08 am »
As said above this is pretty normal.  But just out of curiosity what temperature are you fermenting at?  And what yeast and how much of it did you pitch? 

It seems like you'd have a pretty good amount of headspace in a 6.8 gallon bucket for a five gallon batch.
Clint
Wort Hogs