Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thermometer  (Read 1648 times)

Offline krustybb

• Cellarman
  • Grab a Brew and Relax
Thermometer
« on: January 10, 2012, 09:31:20 am »
I have a really nice digital meat thermometer that i have been using. It has a great quick read and a timer built in which is nice. However it seems to not read accurately in the cold ranges. It is great for my mash but when i am cooling it is way off. I was so frustrated I have been testing it. I put it in a bottle of refridgerated water and it read that the water was 84 degrees. I am pissed because I can not get a good OG or FG. Anyway what are thermometers people like? I can not spend a ton on a fancy one right now. I just want something that cvan accurately tell me that my cooling wort is at 65 degrees.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Thermometer
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 09:54:10 am »
I use a cheapo dial thermo from the supermarket for mash temps and general temp purposes. seems to work well, I have to calibrate once in a while and i cheat and use the boiling water/ice water method. for cold wort temps I count on the stick on thermo on the fermenter. It's always done well by me.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline krustybb

• Cellarman
  • Grab a Brew and Relax
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 10:02:01 am »
Yeah I already had that on my list per your sugestion. Thanks.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 10:08:25 am »
Reading 84 in refrigerated water is more than inaccurate. Maybe the thermometer was designed for a specific temp range?  I have an inexpensive digital probe thermometer and haven't had problems, though I only get to do boil/ice temperature checking.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 12:16:34 pm »
Which brand is it?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 12:56:41 pm »
I have an el-cheapo digital I got at Walmart ($7 or so) that works well all across the whole range.  The best part is if I drop it in the mash or wort and it dies (as opposed to the times I've dropped it and it has survived) I just go get a new one.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?