Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Strange question -- Lambics.  (Read 3506 times)

Offline anje

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lafayette, IN
Strange question -- Lambics.
« on: January 09, 2012, 01:50:38 pm »
Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

My PI is looking for lambics from which we can recover the bacteria for educational purposes. We're hoping to do some 16S sequencing on them and identify the species for a food fermentations class he teaches.

A year or two ago, we attempted this with Lindemans and had no luck.  I'm not certain if they have a pasteurization step in their process, if the bacteria were simply dead, or if it was something wrong with the class' process or media choice.  (We did some of the steps with anaerobic plates and MRS media, as I recall.)

I would appreciate any suggestions for varieties of lambics that would be available or could be shipped to my department at Purdue in Indiana.  (We have a liquor license, though I don't know the details of it.)  Ideally, these would be actual open-fermented products, not recreations of them.

Thanks in advance!
<-- microbiologist brewster n00b.

Hops and toothpaste don't mix.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Strange question -- Lambics.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 02:26:40 pm »
I would focus on the more "real" lambics things like Boon, Cantillon, Oude Beersel and avoid anything flavored.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline anje

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lafayette, IN
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 02:37:58 pm »
I would focus on the more "real" lambics things like Boon, Cantillon, Oude Beersel and avoid anything flavored.
I totally agree with you. I'm trying to get some information on what distributor people in the department use for wine, as they may be able to order what I want.  There's nothing but Lindemans Frambroise available locally, to my knowledge.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 02:51:39 pm »
You don't have a Binny's, Friar Tucks or other good liquor store with a selection of craft brews?

You could also purchase a pack of lambic blend or Roeselaire blend from an online beer supplier like Northern Brewer.  They even sell the bacteria separately if you want to skip the isolation process, but wheres the fun in that.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline anje

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lafayette, IN
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 03:16:53 pm »
If there's a good liquor store for craft brews in town, I have yet to find it.  No LHBS either.  Plenty that stock a few good micros, one that now has some IPAs thanks to the constant nagging of my old roommate, but not much for lambics that I've seen.

In this case, the fun is going to be in trying to see what bugs were floating around in the Belgian air, more than attempting a multi-year project at making the stuff.

ETA: I can swing trips to Indianapolis and Cincinnati easily.  Either hubby or I does the trip between home and Cincy every week, but we don't know that area very well yet. Suggestions are welcome.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 03:20:55 pm by anje »

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 03:20:45 pm »
Kahn's or Crown Liquors in Indy has a selection of lambics and guezes that should be beyond your Lindemans finds.  You'll have to make a road trip of it!
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 03:33:12 pm »
Check out Jungle Jims on Dixie Hwy in Fairfield (northwest of Cincinnati) for a nice selection also.

Another homebrewer/science type person active in BJCP and in W. L. is Linda Swihart, but I'm not sure how to contact her.  She posted here a couple times in the past.  Maybe she's listening?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 04:51:02 pm »
Also consider getting some gueuze instead of straight lambics - since they are blends with younger lambics, I think they would be likely to have more viable cells.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 06:55:09 pm »
I know Oud Beersel has live components, I've brweed with dregs of that and a couple others.  I think the OB bathc came out tooth enamel-removing super-acidic.  I'm saving that for blending.  I think the bacterial components will survive better than the yeast.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 07:12:40 pm »
You should be able to find Jolly Pumpkin around those parts.  It has quite a bit of live, sour bugs, especially acetic bacteria.  I would be interested in what you actually find in some of these beers.
St. Somewhere bottles Saison Athena with Brett B. if I remember correctly.  Shelton Bros. or JJ Taylor distribute in Indiana.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline anje

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lafayette, IN
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 08:38:56 pm »
Check out Jungle Jims on Dixie Hwy in Fairfield (northwest of Cincinnati) for a nice selection also.

Another homebrewer/science type person active in BJCP and in W. L. is Linda Swihart, but I'm not sure how to contact her.  She posted here a couple times in the past.  Maybe she's listening?
I think I met Linda tonight at the local homebrewers' circle meeting.  (I met a "Linda" in town who brews, in any case...)  Seems like a good group.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 04:15:10 am »

I think I met Linda tonight at the local homebrewers' circle meeting.  (I met a "Linda" in town who brews, in any case...)  Seems like a good group.

Lives on a farm?
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline anje

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lafayette, IN
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 11:30:09 am »

Lives on a farm?
Yep. Was talking about having to kill some chickens and the raunchy things goats do, when I arrived.