Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: going to Germany  (Read 5150 times)

Offline anfotias

• 1st Kit
going to Germany
« on: October 14, 2012, 08:02:36 am »
I am pretty new to homebrewing and have only really brewed a few times at a friend’s house before deploying to Afghanistan. since being deployed I have been ordering all the stuff I’m gonna need to brew in my own garage when i get home, and just found out that shortly after I return from Afghanistan i will be going to Baumholder Germany for 3 years. Just curious if there is any homebrewers near there. And how hard is it going to be to brew out there

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: going to Germany
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 08:33:27 am »
I am not familiar with the Baumholder area, looks like it is near K-town. That is not the area of Germany with a lot of breweries. You are a lucky guy regardless.

Back in 98-99 I lived in Weisbaden, and homebrewing was not a thing the Germans did. It has become more common now, but still not to the level in the states. There may be other Army guys who homebrew. I talked to an Army guy last time I was in Schlenkerla in Bamberg who was a homebrewer, so it is done over there.

Your challenge may be supplies. There are places to get them online in Belgium and England - though I have never done that. The "Fan Shop" at Weyermanns was closed the week we were in Bamberg, so I don't know what they sell on site. You should go to Bamberg,see the town, drink Rauchbier, and visit Weyermanns to check it out.

There is this German homebrew site I have bookmarked. All auf Duetsch.
http://hobbybrauer.de/modules.php?name=eBoard
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline anfotias

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 11:01:02 am »
yeah im in the Army so Im hoping I can find some other homebrewers to link up with when i get there. I still have a lot to learn so hopefully I can find some one to brew with there. If not maybe I can get someone else into it.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 02:13:03 pm »
You will be close Reims (Champagne Central).  Take advantage of that!

You will be within easy traveling distance of so many great places in Europe.  You're going to have a great three years!

Get yourself home safely.  Thank you for your service!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 03:51:55 pm »
Lucky you! Germany is where I acquired my taste for good beer, there are so many!  I was there in '91 and came back to the states in '92 and started brewing.

As punatic said, than you for your service!  And enjoy your time and the beer.
What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 07:38:45 pm »
There is home brewing in Germany. The hobbybrauer.de site will be helpful. You can post there in English if you have questions. if you explain that you are in the US military and stationed in Germany they'll be happy to help you. there are also a few mail order places.

If you need more help, shoot me a pm. or post here. We'll get you brewing.  I'm German. I'm living in the US, though.

Kai

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 08:32:52 pm »
Ich liebe hobbybrauer.de! It makes my head hurt, but in a good way. Since I waste so much time on beer forums, I may as well bone up on mein Deutsch in the process.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline bcgpete

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 01:57:06 pm »
I am pretty new to homebrewing and have only really brewed a few times at a friend’s house before deploying to Afghanistan. since being deployed I have been ordering all the stuff I’m gonna need to brew in my own garage when i get home, and just found out that shortly after I return from Afghanistan i will be going to Baumholder Germany for 3 years. Just curious if there is any homebrewers near there. And how hard is it going to be to brew out there

I know this was two years ago, but did you pursue the homebrewing in Baumholder?  I just moved here and I'd love to connect with another brewer.