Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New to brewing, a few questions  (Read 4448 times)

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: New to brewing, a few questions
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 06:09:28 am »
So is there any recipes that it is needed? what would the secondary do for it? When would I know to move it to the secondary? thanks a lot for the quick responses!

The only time I use a secondary is when I need to add something like fruit, or if I plan to reuse the yeast from primary and want to dry hop the first beer.  This way I don't have to wash the yeast.  If I'm not using the yeast again, I just dry hop in primary.

Is the carboy a 5 or 6 gallon?  You can use the carboy for fermenting but if it's 5 gallon, your batch size will be reduced to about 4 gallons.  With a 6 gallon carboy (like a better bottle ) you can get 5 gallons if you use fermcap-s antifoam or attach a blowoff tube.

edit: this post gave me my senior moment ( in a good way ).
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline decapit8tor

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2014, 09:01:55 pm »
I'm new to brewing as we'll I have a glass Carboy that's fermenting right now and the airlock has some fruit flies in it I was wondering how to get rid of the fruit flies and if the beer is still ok ? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2014, 09:04:29 pm »
I'm new to brewing as we'll I have a glass Carboy that's fermenting right now and the airlock has some fruit flies in it I was wondering how to get rid of the fruit flies and if the beer is still ok ? Thanks

you can take the airlock out, rinse well with hot water, refill and replace. Beer is fine. that's what an airlock is for. take a look around where you ferment and clean up well, if there is no rotten sweet stuff the flies will go away soon enough.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline decapit8tor

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2014, 09:07:05 pm »
Awsome thanks a lot for your help

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2014, 09:07:35 pm »
For sure empty and replace the airlock. Be sure to keep the airlock sealed with the cap on it. Use starsan or vodka in the airlock to kill the buggers if they get in.

Be extra careful with fruit flies. They carry all sorts of beer spoiling bacteria such as acetobacter.

I recommend setting up a fruit fly trap away from the beer to control the problem.

Offline Wheat_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bad Bunny Brewing
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2014, 09:55:28 am »
one fermentation bucket, a plastic carboy, and a bottling bucket (with a spigot).

sounds to me like you can start at least two beers 8)

+1

and I would recommend it as well, homebrew goes fast!

how would i do two beers? wouldn't my first ferment always be in the bucket or would I just do a first fermentation in the carboy?

Welcome to homebrewing!!!!!

As others have pointed out there are some great books out there to help get you going in the right direction. I also bought a starter kit for my first beer, although mine came with a DVD so I was able to watch and visualize the process. If your kit didn't come with a DVD I would recommend Basic Brewing's DVD's or there's some good Youtube videos out there as well.

One thing you'll note with this community is that if you ask a question you'll get a dozen answers  :o  Although I have yet to be steered wrong so ask lots of questions and prepare yourself for the new obsession!

Cheers!

Casey
AHA Lifetime Member

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2014, 03:49:52 pm »
Welcome to the forum and the obsession!

Here is a good link right on the home page: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/lets-brew/beginner/start-brewing/

Also, as already mentioned, read Palmer's How To Brew, it will answer most questions raised, as you can see everyone's experience generates several opinions, all of them are right but it is up to reach brewer to find what works best for them.

Even when things get a bit screwed up, in the end you made your own beer and each batch will improve. My advice is to get the first beer going and then start the second batch because the first one won't be around long:)
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010