Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How to deal with an a$$hole coworker?  (Read 8076 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: How to deal with an a$$hole coworker?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 09:59:44 am »
I've already sent a few emails to the boss (and to the guy who is my 'psuedo' boss) and the general response has been 'just try to ignore him.' Also as a contractor I don't have the right to talk to HR.

sounds like you are all set then Phil, he's not a nice person so write it off and don't worry. It's not affecting how your boss views you so f him.

The answer to this question seems (at least to me) to be obvious:

Move out of France.

Most of the French are a-holes, so the odds of having an a-hole coworker would seem to be statistically very high.

Ahh proof of transference. spend a lot of time in France Chumley? how bout NYC?

Usually people like that have no balls and have to resort to saying things behind your back or under their breath.   One of the ways to deal with people like this is to call this guy out in front of all your co-workers and be clear with him in the most straight forward way (please stop, If I am doing something wrong or something that bothers you please talk to me instead of telling every one else) when you catch him in his weasel ways.

This sounds like a good way to do it.

and this seems like the most mature solution so far.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 10:01:43 am »
Usually people like that have no balls and have to resort to saying things behind your back or under their breath.   One of the ways to deal with people like this is to call this guy out in front of all your co-workers and be clear with him in the most straight forward way (please stop, If I am doing something wrong or something that bothers you please talk to me instead of telling every one else) when you catch him in his weasel ways.

This never worked in the 5th grade as I recall and it sounds like this guy is still there, but it seems like the best thing to try.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

narvin

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 10:05:10 am »
Tell him you had sex with his wife.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2012, 10:10:51 am »

Move out of France.

Most of the French are a-holes, so the odds of having an a-hole coworker would seem to be statistically very high.
How many French people do you know?  How much time have you spent in France?  I'm pretty sure France has about the same percentage of a**holes as the US does.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2012, 10:22:43 am »

This never worked in the 5th grade as I recall and it sounds like this guy is still there, but it seems like the best thing to try.

This is the best advice so far...
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2012, 10:25:26 am »
Tell him you had sex with his wife.

That will certainly put a twist into the mix. ;)
Ron Price

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2012, 10:28:15 am »
Is this guy related to the owner or a VP or some other grand high muckity-muck?  It is cliche, but it is true; blood is thicker than water.  Bucking someone who is related to a higher up will not go well.

I would suggest that you keep it positive, do the best job you can, and have as little to do with Mr. Asshole as possible.  Be polite but distant when you interact with him.  He sounds like a bigot.

That way YOU know you are doing the right thing and can be satisfied that you did your best.  Others will see that you are a good worker and a good person.  If they don't, what difference does it make, anyway?

This sounds like a good opportunity to find an even better job.

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2012, 10:30:43 am »
Is this guy related to the owner or a VP or some other grand high muckity-muck?  It is cliche, but it is true; blood is thicker than water.  Bucking someone who is related to a higher up will not go well.

I would suggest that you keep it positive, do the best job you can, and have as little to do with Mr. Asshole as possible.  Be polite but distant when you interact with him.  He sounds like a bigot.

That way YOU know you are doing the right thing and can be satisfied that you did your best.  Others will see that you are a good worker and a good person.  If they don't, what difference does it make, anyway?

Great advice Carl...and just remember to kill him with kindness.
Ron Price

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2012, 11:08:04 am »
Make a peace offering with some homebrew.  And if that doesn't work, hit him over the head with your mash paddle.  >:(
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2012, 11:10:30 am »

Move out of France.

Well, "most" statistically implies 50% or more. Both my wife and my son are French. Which one of them, then, is the asshole?
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2012, 11:23:34 am »
This is the problem.

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2012, 11:27:59 am »

Great advice Carl...and just remember to kill him with kindness.

Yeah, that and 'always stay above reproach' are my two dogs in this fight.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2012, 11:33:20 am »
isn't Chumley just such a great name for a troll?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2012, 12:15:40 pm »
I've had similar things happen at my current place of employment and others. These things have a way of sorting themselves out over time. Your superiors know you. If the guy keeps it up he'll just build ill-will towards himself.

The pride factor is more difficult, and probably eating at you. Look at it as an opportunity to learn how to rise above the situation and how it makes you feel.

You may be casting your net for another job but don't let the man force you out. Make changes at your own convenience.

If the guy hates you then forcing him to be around you more will keep him from talking about you and will drive him crazy. If you are really nice and helpful he might just quit. ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2012, 01:08:58 pm »
I've had similar things happen at my current place of employment and others. These things have a way of sorting themselves out over time. Your superiors know you. If the guy keeps it up he'll just build ill-will towards himself.

The pride factor is more difficult, and probably eating at you. Look at it as an opportunity to learn how to rise above the situation and how it makes you feel.

You may be casting your net for another job but don't let the man force you out. Make changes at your own convenience.

If the guy hates you then forcing him to be around you more will keep him from talking about you and will drive him crazy. If you are really nice and helpful he might just quit. ;D

Stranger things have happened.  We have gone though a ton of mergers and buying other companies over the years where I work.  Luckily we've always done the acquiring and not the being acquired side.  It has always been interesting to see people who couldn't stand each other become grand allies as soon as they both faced the same threats.  (I have seen these people and they have been me, on occasion.)

It usually works to smile, wait and when the opportunity to form an alliance presents itself, draft him to your side of the issue.  I guess it could be called the "trick him into accepting you" plan.   :D

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?