Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: pH Meter: How long to get a reading?  (Read 5289 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
pH Meter: How long to get a reading?
« on: January 09, 2012, 11:35:51 am »
A couple of months ago, I bought a Milwaukee MW101 pH meter.

One thing I wasn't expecting is that it takes about 2-3 minutes to get an accurate reading.  When I first insert the probe, the initial reading is usually around 7 or 8, and then it slowly starts going down until it eventually settles at the final reading.  I have found that gently stirring the probe in the sample speeds the process up a bit and actually seems necessary to get an accurate reading (as confirmed with testing solutions).

I've never heard anyone mention this before.  Is it normal or do I have a bad probe (it's only about 6 months old, and I store it in the recommended storage solution)?

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: pH Meter: How long to get a reading?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 11:41:11 am »
not much to add - mine (same model) generally takes a few minutes to settle out as well - I await some of the pH meter experts to ring in.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 11:46:02 am »
Not an expert but mine is usually at it's final reading in about 30-45 seconds, but then mine is el cheapo Milwaukee PH600 ( the yellow one ).
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 11:51:29 am »
to be fair, it could be 45secs or 3 min - I usually am doing other stuff, keeping the corner of my eye on the readout until it looks like it has stopped before I pay attention.

I also found that swirling the probe in the wort solution helps speed things up.

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 12:36:52 pm »
I have the same meter and I find that the reading settles out in about a minute or less. I am not concerned with a few tenths of additional settling as long as I can get a fairly stable reading (no more than a tenth or two drift over 20 seconds).

One thing that I want to point out is that I take all of my readings 10min into the mash, and I also chill my wort sample down to R.T. prior to taking a reading. I also calibrate my meter at 4.01 and 7.00 prior to taking a reading.
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 01:43:38 pm »
I get a stable reading by swishing the probe around. Only takes a few seconds.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis