Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Replacing O-ring on Brew Kettle Spigot  (Read 4702 times)

Offline ryan0114

• 1st Kit
Replacing O-ring on Brew Kettle Spigot
« on: January 09, 2012, 10:34:56 pm »
I just purchased a new 30 qt brew kettle, and had the store install a spigot.  They say that they water tested the spigot but during the first brew there was some leakage.  The strange part is that the leakage began at the beginning of the brew, and once the liquid inside raised in temperature the leak ceased.  So upon a closer inspection and a little reseach I noticed that the rubber O-ring is on the inside of the brew kettle.  From some of the schematics I have seen online, the rubber O-ring is located on the outside of the kettle.  Can anyone provide some clarity on proper placement of the rubber O-ring for brew kettle spigots?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Replacing O-ring on Brew Kettle Spigot
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 10:42:45 pm »
It probably sealed due to the expansion of the metal as the kettle heated.

I don't know if the o-ring location will make a difference, but try it the other way and see if it leaks when cool.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 10:52:14 pm »
I have a weldless Kettlevalve and the red oring is indeed on the the outside. After a couple uses I put another rubber gasket on the inside since there was some bi-metallic corrosion going on there. Anyway, I have learned not to torque down on orings but just snug up and then lightly adjust. It dribbled a tiny amount- drops really, the first time it got used. That was it. Doesn't leak. But it doesn't get removed either.

Hope that helps. I think the oring vulcanizes to conform to the space the first time it gets hot. That's why it leaks the first time.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 11:55:34 pm »
I think the oring vulcanizes to conform to the space the first time it gets hot. That's why it leaks the first time.
Interesting, I hadn't thought of that.  Thanks euge.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 06:39:38 am »
My O-ring is on the outside too. I remember it dripped the first time too, but never again.

The o-ring seals between the nut and kettle, but not between the nut and threads. So I think if the o-ring is on the inside, liquid can seep through the threads on the nut and escape 'under' the o-ring.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 06:41:18 am by mtnrockhopper »
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 08:02:14 am »
I switched over to a kettle for my mash tun instead of my cooler. There is an Oring on the outside and inside.   I fiddled around with valve for a while while water testing it and it kept leaking. I finally gave up, got it to leak minimally and used it for a batch and it stopped leaking.  It hasnt leaked since.  I also never remove it because I dont want it to leak again.
Mark

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 08:05:46 am »
I think Euge is on to something. I could also be that sugars from the wort are crystalizing inside there and sealing up an tiny gaps.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 08:31:40 am »
I got a weldless kit for Christmas this year (yes, I worked up the courage to drill a hole in my most expensive piece of equipement  :D) and didn't have any issues with leaks.  It has a large o-ring on the outside and a smaller one on the inside.  Tightened a bit past hand tight and it's sealed up perfect.

If they didn't use any silicon pipe tape you are probably getting leaks alongthe threads (as mentioned before).  Take it apart and add a few turns of pipe tape to each end and it should be fine.

Good luck!

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline ryan0114

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 08:43:54 pm »
Thank you all for the constructive advice.