Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast 1469-PC West Yorkshire Ale Yeast  (Read 11442 times)

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
Wyeast 1469-PC West Yorkshire Ale Yeast
« on: January 11, 2012, 02:25:46 pm »
Getting ready to brew Lee's Mild this weekend from the The Craft of Stone Brewing Co.: Liquid Lore, Epic Recipes, and Unabashed Arrogance book.  I wanted to use WLP007, but the LHBS was out.  Then I remember I had some Wyeast 1469 and thought this might be a good substitute for the style.  I am just curious if anyone has any experience with the yeast and any recommendations for mash temp and most importantly fermentation temp?  The recipe calls for a single infusion mash at 154F .  Here is what Wyeast's website says about the strain:

Wyeast 1469-PC West Yorkshire Ale Yeast
Beer Styles: Blonde Ale, English IPA, Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale), Oatmeal Stout, Southern English Brown, Special/Best/Premium Bitter, Standard/Ordinary Bitter, Sweet Stout
Profile: This strain produces ales with a full chewy malt flavor and character, but finishes dry, producing famously balanced beers. Expect moderate nutty and stone-fruit esters. Best used for the production of cask-conditioned bitters, ESB and mild ales. Reliably flocculent, producing bright beer without filtration.

Alc. Tolerance 9% ABV   
Flocculation     high
Attenuation      67-71%             
Temp. Range   64-72°F (18-22°C)

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 02:51:03 pm by hoser »

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
Re: Wyeast 1469-PC West Yorkshire Ale Yeast
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 04:16:27 pm »
154 is a good mash temp for a beer that uses 1469, but I tend to mash a little higher as this yeast always attenuates like a beast for me, and I like my beer a little less dry. I also tend to ferment in the lower 60s, between 60 and 64. Otherwise, Wyeast's description is quite accurate, and it makes a very tasty mild.
Kyle M.

Offline WDE97

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lewiston, ID
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 04:30:38 pm »
154 is a good mash temp for a beer that uses 1469, but I tend to mash a little higher as this yeast always attenuates like a beast for me, and I like my beer a little less dry. I also tend to ferment in the lower 60s, between 60 and 64. Otherwise, Wyeast's description is quite accurate, and it makes a very tasty mild.

Ah, that explains a lot.  I used this yeast for the 1st time on an ESB a few weeks ago.  I mashed at 152F and hit my OG of 1.058. However, after fermenting at 64F, my FG was 1.010, not the 1.015 or so I was looking for.  The beer came out tasting and looking good, but is too dry for what I wanted.  I was beginning to wonder if it was the yeast or if my mash temp was off somehow.   Now I am guessing it was just higher attenuation than I expected.  I definitely want to use 1469 again, but next time I will up my mash temp to 154-155 and try again.  
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 10:21:11 am by WDE97 »
Robert H.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.    - Steven Wright

On tap: Strong Scotch Ale, RIS, ESB, Saison.

Fermenting: Belgian Dark Strong, Kolsch.

Up next: Bock, NEIPA, Brett Saison

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 01:30:20 pm »
Just read that this strain is now available year round!  Woo Hoo!  I don't have to hoard anymore.   I can buy fresh yeast when I need it!

http://www.northernbrewer.com/connect/2012/01/wyeast-1469-yorkshire-ale-now-a-year-round-strain/
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 01:42:19 pm by hoser »

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 01:34:47 pm »
I'll echo what I said.. "boo!" :)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 12:29:17 pm »
I am wondering what else you could brew with this yeast...besides bitter, mild and ESB .

Specifically thinking about a pale ale, "session ipa", sorry Denny :-[, or a regular AIPA.

Anyone?

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 10:09:24 am »
I am wondering what else you could brew with this yeast...besides bitter, mild and ESB .

Specifically thinking about a pale ale, "session ipa", sorry Denny :-[, or a regular AIPA.

Anyone?

I have brewed burton ales, APAs, IIPA, and porters with this yeast, and they have all been quite tasty. The yeast brings a nice "bright" presence to hops, and creates a nice mouthfeel with the malt that I am having a difficult time describing at the moment. Using Martin's suggestion on another thread, I am going to start upping the calcium cholride to 150ppm on the next few brews to see if I can get that tasty minerallyness from it. It adds such a nice stone fruit character that I put it in about everything.
Kyle M.

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 06:20:29 am »
thanks for the encouraging response.  Thinking robust porter now.  Cheers.

Offline swampale

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 05:08:40 am »
I only got 67% attenuation with this yeast. It did ferment quick, strong and finally stopped on day 10. OG - 1.045, FG - 1.016. Kind of surprising since my fermenter was a huge mess after kegging. I am not sure if I like the "stone fruit" part of this yeast, but it is different from any bitter I have ever brewed. I have two packets left and I am thinking Oatmeal Stout.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 08:47:24 am »
Get some Golden Promise and Styrian Goldings and make a Timothy Taylor Landlord-type bitter.

It's kind of a minerally-tasting yeast.  Mashing higher or adding more dextrinous malts would help offset that character.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 10:06:13 am »
Get some Golden Promise and Styrian Goldings and make a Timothy Taylor Landlord-type bitter.

It's kind of a minerally-tasting yeast.  Mashing higher or adding more dextrinous malts would help offset that character.
Isn't that what makes Sammy Smith's oatmeal stout awesome? Or is that the stone squares they ferment in?  I've got a pack of this stuff I intend to use in a series of beers very soon. Very excited!
Jesse