Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Recirculating Immersion Chiller with Pond Pump  (Read 13093 times)

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Recirculating Immersion Chiller with Pond Pump
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 10:16:30 am »
I use a similar 1/6 hp pump through a 3/8 inch chiller and it doesn't seem like it causes the pump any problems.  Been using the pump like that for about two years and it's still running like a champ.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 11:25:13 am »
when you look at pump discharge head( ;D) it is not just the diameter but height and length that will come in to play. usually parameters will be given that will be acceptable.  look at sump pumps, they will say something about y gph at x feet of elevation. as long as the discharge piping is close in size to that which is at the pump outlet it won't make much difference especially at the lengths we are talking and minimal elevation change.  my submersible pump is hose sized so the reduction to copper tubing not really concerning
Don AHA member

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2011, 11:34:59 am »
P.s. Euge, I thought the 3,000 gph pump was a typo I checked out a couple on Amazon:

www.amazon.com/Wayne-RUP160-6-Horsepower-Oilless-Submersible/dp/B0009X8O2E/

http://www.amazon.com/Superior-Pump-91250-Thermoplastic-Submersible/dp/B000X05G1A/

Hmmm...

Both of those should work and I haven't had any problems with the IC's pipe inner diameter being restrictive.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2012, 09:30:17 am »
P.s. Euge, I thought the 3,000 gph pump was a typo I checked out a couple on Amazon:

www.amazon.com/Wayne-RUP160-6-Horsepower-Oilless-Submersible/dp/B0009X8O2E/

http://www.amazon.com/Superior-Pump-91250-Thermoplastic-Submersible/dp/B000X05G1A/

Hmmm...

Both of those should work and I haven't had any problems with the IC's pipe inner diameter being restrictive.

So yesterday as a test I cooled a little over 3 gallons of wort with an immersion chiller (but no pump). I was dismayed at the amount of water used. However, I didn't whirlpool until toward the end (I was multitasking... as in, pretending to myself I could do two things at once), and was surprised to see how fast the temp dropped when I did that.

I bought a pump and after I get the last remaining bits to get that going, am going to try with two bags of ice for my next batch. Not exactly sure when that will be--might be this weekend, might have to wait. (My good thermometer died, so I was brewing with a backup thermometer... I want to replace that before I brew again.)
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2012, 12:46:52 pm »
I think the ROT is one pound of ice for every gallon of wort to chill it down after it gets to 90 or so.

Yeah it's a lot of water to run an IC. I hook the water sprinkler up to the mine and water the lawn at the same time. How's that for multitasking?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis