Author Topic: 2 batches ruined  (Read 3815 times)

Offline eaholljr

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
Re: 2 batches ruined
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 09:56:07 AM »
Thanks to all for the replies! Garden hose seems to be the culprit (and I am getting the supply from my Santa Rosa water.) Just where do I get those tablets from anyway?

-Andy
IPA makes my day!

Online tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 10:00:28 AM »
They are available from homebrew or wine making supply places.  Cheap.

Swap out the garden hose for a food grade hose too, campden isn't going to help with that.
Tom Schmidlin

Online morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 10:42:50 AM »
I don't know what Santa Rosa uses for water treatment but another thing to consider is just switching to useing all RO water from the store, it only adds ~5 bucks to the batch cost and is a real piece of mind. If you are doing all grain you would have to get into water chem a little but with extract RO works just fine.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Slowbrew

• Brewmaster General
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 10:55:54 AM »
You can also run your brewing water into buckets the night before you're and let them sit open over night.  The Chlorine gases out and you're good to go.

FYI, this process only works if your municipality uses chlorine in the water.  If they use chloramines (as more and more are switching to), letting it sit won't work.

Along these lines, I have also heard that often municipalities will change their process seasonally.  They may switch from chloramines to chlorine or vice versa.

I know for a fact that at certain times of the year the water here just smells differently.  Like a strong chlorine smell.  Just nasty.

Good points.  I'll need to look into that.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Delo

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2012, 11:11:23 AM »
I don't know what Santa Rosa uses for water treatment but another thing to consider is just switching to useing all RO water from the store, it only adds ~5 bucks to the batch cost and is a real piece of mind. If you are doing all grain you would have to get into water chem a little but with extract RO works just fine.

I switched over to using only bottled water because I had two batches in a row taste like plastic. I never had a problem before, I'm guessing our town switched how they treated the water.  I dont even use tap water for cleaning.  Unfortunately one of my batches was for my daughters Bday.  My BMC friends seemed to like it.  Any Ill effects for using Campden?
Mark

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2012, 11:29:44 AM »
None that I know of. That's only one use for campden tabs. Another is to stun yeast. But that's mainly done with ciders and such near the end of fermentation.

I've been using campden tabs for at least 4 years in the hot liquor tank.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline kgs

• Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2012, 01:31:54 PM »

I am pretty sure all Hetch-Hetchy water gets chloramine by the time it reaches its destination. SF  does for sure ( http://sfwater.org/index.aspx?page=357 ). The OP and I are using the same water source (and almost invariably the same treatment), and campden made a huge difference--and it's really, really cheap. Note: once you've dealt with the chloramine, it's tasty water.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Online tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 04:43:40 PM »
Any Ill effects for using Campden?
It is generally harmless, although some people are sensitive to sulfites (commonly used in wine).

Any residual is easily passed through your body, but the sulfite part should all come out of the water as SO2 before or during the boil.  The potassium or sodium is also harmless.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • View Profile
    • The Beer Research Institute
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2012, 09:15:45 PM »
I started having the same issue about a year ago. I got a water supply hose for an RV and an inline carbon filter. My homebrew supply store carries sodium metabisulfite crystals so I use them instead of the tablets. Same as Camden tablets but you dont need to crush or dissolve them. Just measure out a 1/4 tsp per 10 gallons of strike water and you're good. With those three steps, the plastic flavor hasnt come back. BTW...I got all of those suggestions from this forum. These guys know whats up!
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2012, 07:48:58 PM »

If you're doing kit or extract beers, you're often better off with RO water. Basically, all the minerals your yeasties need is already in the extract. The exceptions might be beers where you want almost no mineral character (e.g., Pilsners) or beers where you want a lot (e.g., IPA).

If you're doing partial mash or AG, consider using a charcoal filter. That will get the chloramines out of your water without getting rid of the good minerals that you want for most beer styles. Portable units which attach to your sink cost about $50-70, and it's relatively easy and cheap to get the plumbing fittings which allow you to attach to a hose.

If you can't get a food-grade hose, at the very least drain your garden hose and store it dry between brews. Nasty chemicals can leach from the hose walls into the water over time. On the other hand, the contact time for water going through a hose isn't all that long if you've got the spigot cranked all the way open, so it's unlikely you'll pick up off-flavors from water that's used immediately.

Online tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2012, 10:55:11 PM »
If you're doing kit or extract beers, you're often better off with RO water. Basically, all the minerals your yeasties need is already in the extract.
Extract is likely to be deficient in a few things that yeast need for optimal heath.  That's why we use yeast nutrients even in all malt beers.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
  • Kit B - Bottineau Prairie, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2012, 07:31:54 AM »
If you're doing kit or extract beers, you're often better off with RO water. Basically, all the minerals your yeasties need is already in the extract.
Extract is likely to be deficient in a few things that yeast need for optimal heath.  That's why we use yeast nutrients even in all malt beers.

Wait...What!?
I had read in several places that extract has all the minerals needed for yeast health & that RO water was fine for use in extract brews.
I guess I shouldn't believe everything that I read.

-    Head Cook & Bottle Washer    -
-      Bottineau Prairie Brewing      -

FBDU: Prairie & Northwoods Mobile Superintendant

Online tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2012, 09:18:41 AM »
Extract is likely to be deficient in a few things that yeast need for optimal heath.  That's why we use yeast nutrients even in all malt beers.

Wait...What!?
I had read in several places that extract has all the minerals needed for yeast health & that RO water was fine for use in extract brews.
I guess I shouldn't believe everything that I read.
Extract already contains the minerals from the mash water used to make the extract, so using RO (or distilled) water is perfectly fine for extract beers.  If you use minerally water to make an extract beer, the final beer will have the minerals from your water plus the minerals from the extract, which may make the levels too high for a tasty beer or may throw it out of style.

This is not the same as having all of the minerals required for yeast health.  Many (most? all?) extract beers will benefit from additional zinc for yeast health, thus the nutrients.  Plus there are other trace minerals and non-mineral components in the nutrients that make the yeast happy.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012, 11:53:29 AM »
Just use a little yeast nutrient at the end of the boil and don't worry about it. The stuff is cheap and it really helps.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2012, 05:00:50 AM »
This is not the same as having all of the minerals required for yeast health.  Many (most? all?) extract beers will benefit from additional zinc for yeast health, thus the nutrients.  Plus there are other trace minerals and non-mineral components in the nutrients that make the yeast happy.

So, what makes extract different from AG wort? Are the zinc and other nutrients somehow stripped out during the concentration process?