Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Donating homebrew to a church festival?  (Read 4727 times)

Offline jgl2ltts

• 1st Kit
Donating homebrew to a church festival?
« on: January 12, 2012, 06:02:57 pm »
I'd like to donate homebrew to my church's festival but I'm leery of alcohol laws / regs, etc.  I don't have an alcohol license nor a business name, I'm strictly a homebrewer. I live in Florida. 

If anyone can provide insight into the legalities of this idea please reply.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Donating homebrew to a church festival?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 07:46:32 pm »
It is very much state and fact specific.  Someone on this forum may know, but you have to say where this is happening and what you intend to do (obviously you can't sell the beer, but you also have to watch if things are raffled, etc...where a sale might be considered as being made indirectly).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 09:28:45 pm »
Try contacting the Central Florida Home Brewers in Orlando.  They've been around since 1989 and have put on many functions in that time.  They are a great group, and I betting they can help you with your questions.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 07:01:24 am »
You could donate a brewing lesson.  The winner gets to help make the beer, pitch the yeast, and take the finished beer home.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 08:38:42 am »
The AHA has the statute and analysis for Florida homebrew law on our website: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/government-affairs/statutes/florida.

In this case, I don't think the donation would be a problem so long as the homebrew isn't served to minor and there is no exchange made for the homebrew (i.e. it's not sold, raffled, put up for auction, etc).  If the donated beer is simply being served as samples to adults, it should be fine.

Cheers!
Gary
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline Gribble

• Assistant Brewer
    • Low Mo Brewing Company
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 03:29:51 pm »
I did the same thing with our first festival attended, we donated the beer to the festival, received no compensation for the beer at all, and there were no problems.  This is WA however, but it should be the same most anywhere, but to be sure check your local laws.
Low Mo Brewing Company
Industrial Grade Beer Brewed For Professionals

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 03:43:50 pm »
I did the same thing with our first festival attended, we donated the beer to the festival, received no compensation for the beer at all, and there were no problems.  This is WA however, but it should be the same most anywhere, but to be sure check your local laws.
Completely different in WA - was it a WBC run fest?  When you donate beer to the Washington Beer Commission they are allowed to accept the donation (they specifically, under the WA law that created the commission) and serve it.  Not everyone in the state can do the same, let alone other states.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bobberdc

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 10:21:36 am »
Kudos to any church willing to serve homebrewed beer. :)

As previously mentioned, as long as nothing of value is exchanged for the beer (either to you or by the church as a fundraiser), there shouldn't be a problem.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 06:35:44 pm »
As it is interpreted in Wisconsin right now I even can not remove my homebrew from my house. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 07:36:22 am »
As it is interpreted in Wisconsin right now I even can not remove my homebrew from my house. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Leos is getting at the more significant issue with donating homebrew for a cause/charity/church/etc.  Both federal and state laws have imposed "use" or "removal" restrictions on homebrew.  These restrictions dictate what a homebrewer can do with his or her homebrew.  And while the federal restrictions are applicable to all states, the state laws vary greatly.  I'm not familiar with Florida use restrictions, but it might be worth your while to look into them.  Someone posted earlier about a homebrew club that might have some information on local laws/rules; I would contact that club.

A lot of the time, it's not a question of whether there is a sales component to using homebrew.  It's the use itself that may be violative of applicable laws.

BTW, cheers to your church for being cool with beer!
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 05:20:58 pm »
I have "donated" beer for a church potluck before. Technically I was probably breaking the law because I received some really good potato salad and a hot dog in return. ;)