Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: any opinions on how to enter these beers?  (Read 2402 times)

Offline positiverpr

• Cellarman
any opinions on how to enter these beers?
« on: January 14, 2012, 06:16:39 am »
i've got 3 beers that i'm trying to work in to a comp. only one entry per category. i have a 1 year old saison brett beer(fairly strong brett character). i know that traditional saison would have brett and the bjcp style guide says some sourness/tart is ok. it also mentions lacto but not specifically brett. i could enter it in belgian specialty but i have a 100% brett beer with honey, 2 sugars and a little oak that i think needs to be in that category. it doesnt have enough oak to stand out in the oak category. also i have a clean belgian version of that beer that could be entered as belgian specialty or maybe belgian pale but the little oak and the slightly dark color from the buckwheat honey dont quite fit in the pale. i'm thinking brett saison should go into the saison category but what would you do with the other two?  i also thought about the experimental category for the clean or 100% brett beer but they dont stand out enough(the brett had a big starter and no o2 so the character is subtle). if anyone can make sense out of my rambling and has some insight it would be appreciated.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: any opinions on how to enter these beers?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 11:43:40 am »
They'd probably all score the best in Belgian Specialty, but I understand they are only allowing one per sub-cat, so I have no immediately helpful suggestions, but here goes anyway.  I have had some commercial Saisons with brett, so I see no problem with your first choice.  If you can identify the wood character in the other, especially if you prompt the judge to look for it, then wood-aged is a good choice.  The cleaner one with honey can go into Belgian Specialty.  They sound really good.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 08:11:16 pm »
I'd personally enter the clean Belgian as a Belgian pale ale.  Having just judged a specialty category, I found that there were a lot of entries that would have been pretty good in the normal categories but got entered in specialty for subtle changes.  The stuff that did best had some real special/different character.  The Brett/honey/oak would most likely be more distinctive.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 04:01:59 am »
A Saison with a lot of Brett character belongs in Belgian Specialty. It will get dinged in the Saison category if the judges are good.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline positiverpr

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 05:08:07 am »
thanks guys.

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 10:47:29 am »
Some competitions allow multiple entries in the specialty categories.  You might want to check the specifics.