Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: SN Ruthless Rye IPA  (Read 19564 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
SN Ruthless Rye IPA
« on: January 13, 2012, 07:24:45 am »
Picked up a 12er earlier this week and cracked a couple last night at our club meeting.  Very, very nice.  I generally have not liked most Rye IPAs in the past, but this one is tasty - enough to maybe make me want to try making that variation one more time.

The rye is very subtle - a little in the nose, a bit of dry bite in the finish.  Nice fresh hop aroma - I couldn't identify varietals, but I'm sure its on the website - will have to check.  Much drier and crisper than Torpedo - while I've read a lot of people compared it to Torpedo + Rye, to me it has more of the malt flavor and similar hop flavor to Celebration.

Anyhow, maybe not the best "Rye IPA" but its a solid IPA in its own right.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: SN Ruthless Rye IPA
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 09:16:01 am »
Pick up a sixer last night and really enjoyed it. One of my favorite SN beers as of late and hands down my favorite hoppy style beer from them. Way better than Torpedo for my tastes. Rye is in the back ground and hops are very fresh in the nose. Premium rocky head and outstanding lacing all the way down the glass. I'm jealous of SN incredible foam forming properties.

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 09:20:30 am »
My brother just brought over a sixer last night.  I'll be tasting it later today to see what it's all about.
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline blatz

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 09:35:24 am »
hands down my favorite hoppy style beer from them. Way better than Torpedo for my tastes. 

I'm with you on that Keith - the more I think of it, I *might* actually enjoy this more than Celebration.  I can't wait to have some more tonight!

BTW - I owe you some beer, but it may need to wait until we move, too much going on at the moment.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 09:47:22 am »
I tried some at the brewery when they were still working on the recipe.  I admit to being underwhelmed.  Guess I'll pick some up to see what they finally came up with.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blatz

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 10:12:10 am »
I admit to being underwhelmed. 

I can see that, particularly if you are looking for a big rye character.  Certainly, if you compare it to your recipe, its lacking.  The rye that is there seems to add a twist that is subtle and not overbearing.  I like that.  And then the hop flavor and aroma is excellent.

Its just a good IPA in general, IMO.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 10:34:43 am »
This thread has just reminded me to pick up a sixer of this beer. I'll chime back in with a review as I can.
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 12:35:00 pm »
I had some last weekend, I like it.  Only 12 packs here, so I've still got some left.

I've never tried/made Denny's rye IPA, so I don't have that to compare it to.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 01:53:54 pm »
Funny that this thread appeared today.  I almost started one yesterday.  I went to the grocery store last evening and looked for Celebration.  It was gone, but Ruthless Rye IPA had taken its slot in the reach-in.  $7.99/six-pack too.

Very nice beer.  Very fresh too.  I like how they rye and hop flavors combine and compliment each other.  I like the bitter finish.  Time to grab a couple of cases today.  This beer will go very nicely with my tradional Frogmore Stew on Superbowl Sunday!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 05:45:14 pm »
I tried some at the brewery when they were still working on the recipe.  I admit to being underwhelmed.  Guess I'll pick some up to see what they finally came up with.

Compared to other regional beers you can get it may not be the greatest, but for a nationally released beer it is pretty damn good.

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 12:58:56 am »
The aroma of this beer reminds me of the SN pale ale. In my opinion this beer has peppery like notes, with a bitter, drier finish when compared to the SN pale ale.  At 6.6% abv I think it needs just a bit more body or mouth feel to balance out. I guess I'm just not a fan of the style.  It has cool art work on the label.     
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 09:09:23 am »
"Very nice beer.  Very fresh too.  I like how they rye and hop flavors combine and compliment each other.  I like the bitter finish.  Time to grab a couple of cases today.  This beer will go very nicely with my tradional Frogmore Stew on Superbowl Sunday!"

How the heck do you know what Frogmore Stew is living in Hawaii? I am from SC.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 11:31:29 am »
I have a hanai brother who flew in a squadron stationed at MCAS Beaufort for many years.   I love that area!  We started the Frogmore stew/Superbowl tradition while the Raiders destroyed the Redskins in Superbowl XVIII. 

A low country boil is easier here in Hawaii cause mudbugs are hard to come by, but shrimp are easy to get here.  Plus, January is pretty early in the year for mudbugs anyway.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 01:20:28 am »
Just appeared on the shelves. As always from SN it's excellent. I like the spicy bitterness that's balanced by the caramelly sweetness.

Even though I'm congested this beer tastes great. ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 03:25:04 pm »
hands down my favorite hoppy style beer from them. Way better than Torpedo for my tastes. 

I'm with you on that Keith - the more I think of it, I *might* actually enjoy this more than Celebration.  I can't wait to have some more tonight!

I wasn't that fond of Torpedo either.  I do like celebration, and in fact my first 5 gallon brew ever is a celebration clone, almost ready for bottling. 

Anybody got a good partial mash/extract recipe (or even all grain, for future use) for the ruthless rye IPA?