Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: SN Ruthless Rye IPA  (Read 19576 times)

Offline HydraulicSammich

• Assistant Brewer
  • Logan, UT
Re: SN Ruthless Rye IPA
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 03:44:52 pm »
Funny that this thread appeared today.  I almost started one yesterday.  I went to the grocery store last evening and looked for Celebration.  It was gone, but Ruthless Rye IPA had taken its slot in the reach-in.  $7.99/six-pack too.

Very nice beer.  Very fresh too.  I like how they rye and hop flavors combine and compliment each other.  I like the bitter finish.  Time to grab a couple of cases today.  This beer will go very nicely with my tradional Frogmore Stew on Superbowl Sunday!

I paid $10.00 and some change for a six in a Utah Liquer Store.  Pathetic!
AHA Member 900001775

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 04:04:18 pm »
Sipping on one right now.  I like it.  There's a definite malt sweetness & slight spiciness from the rye but it's more than balanced by the substantial hopping.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 07:30:10 pm »
I picked up a sixer on Friday and had one so far. It has a firm hop bitterness with a bit of a spicy rye flavor in the finish. Also has some hop flavor. It could use more hop flavor to help balance the bitterness IMO but I like it. I'm glad I picked up a six pack. It is crisp and dry in the finish. Very fresh beer.
Ron Price

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 07:36:04 pm »
. It could use more hop flavor to help balance the bitterness IMO but I like it.

Yeah, I agree, or a little less bitterness.  But that's something that I commonly think with SN beers.  My east coast brain would like them to dial it down a bit  ;)
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 07:38:09 pm »
. It could use more hop flavor to help balance the bitterness IMO but I like it.

Yeah, I agree, or a little less bitterness.  But that's something that I commonly think with SN beers.  My east coast brain would like them to dial it down a bit  ;)

I'm with you on that brother.  :)
Ron Price

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012, 04:05:31 pm »
Funny that this thread appeared today.  I almost started one yesterday.  I went to the grocery store last evening and looked for Celebration.  It was gone, but Ruthless Rye IPA had taken its slot in the reach-in.  $7.99/six-pack too.

Very nice beer.  Very fresh too.  I like how they rye and hop flavors combine and compliment each other.  I like the bitter finish.  Time to grab a couple of cases today.  This beer will go very nicely with my tradional Frogmore Stew on Superbowl Sunday!

I paid $10.00 and some change for a six in a Utah Liquer Store.  Pathetic!

I thought everyone in Logan drove to Idaho for their beer. And lottery tickets. :o

I still haven't seen this, which is funny since we seemed to get Celebration before most of the country.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 06:18:06 pm »

wow and here I thought the bitterness is pretty moderate. seriously - will have to recheck this thought on Friday  ;D
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 06:21:36 pm »

wow and here I thought the bitterness is pretty moderate. seriously - will have to recheck this thought on Friday  ;D

I'm with blatz in thinking it was less than IPA-level bitter.  Kind of a slick mouthfeel, too.  Not my favorite.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 06:23:37 pm »

Well that's cause you're not from the east coast, you're from another planet!   :D
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2012, 07:55:42 am »

I'm with blatz in thinking it was less than IPA-level bitter.  Kind of a slick mouthfeel, too.  Not my favorite.

I didn't find a slick mouthfeel at all. Clean and dry, perhaps a bit too dry. I also found the bitterness pleasantly balanced - of course it could always have more hop flavor and aroma.  ;) I'd drink it over SNPA any day. I just hop the next time I try it the hops taste as fresh as they did the last time.

Offline punatic

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2012, 10:08:38 am »

I didn't find a slick mouthfeel at all. Clean and dry, perhaps a bit too dry. I also found the bitterness pleasantly balanced - of course it could always have more hop flavor and aroma.  ;) I'd drink it over SNPA any day. I just hop the next time I try it the hops taste as fresh as they did the last time.

+1 except I like the dryness.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2012, 10:30:25 am »

+1 except I like the dryness.

Agreed...I prefer this beer on the dryer side of the spectrum. It could use a tad bit less dryness to bring out more maltiness.

I wonder if we are tasting batch variations.  :-\
Ron Price

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2012, 05:43:22 pm »
Well, call me a curmudgeon, but I live in NorCal and finally tried this beer and was greatly unimpressed. The two rye beers I am most familiar with are Bittersweet Lenny's RIPA and Denny's Rye IPA (I have brewed the latter 4 times, and 3 times it came out great--the other time I had just made an equipment change and it was, uh, chewy). (I realize Bittersweet Lenny's isn't a 1:1 comparison, but it does have that "rye" thing going on.)

The store I bought it from takes good care of beer, so I did give it a good chance. I just thought it was a let-down. Denny's recipe is spicier, hoppier, & tastier--it's just more present overall as a beer. If I find Ruthless Rye on tap I'll give it another chance, but I just didn't see what the fuss is about. Full disclosure: I'm also not a big fan of Torpedo (there are far better IPAs) or even SNPA, though this year's Celebration seemed extra-good, and I had the Estate ale on tap at Toronado and loved it.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2012, 12:42:17 am »
I still like it.  I choose the Ruthless as my super bowl beer to take to the neighbors, good stuff.

I also got to try a Bud Light Platinum ::)  It's as good as you'd expect.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2012, 12:57:13 am »
I also got to try a Bud Light Platinum ::)  It's as good as you'd expect.

Thank you for taking one for the team!   :D

AHA Life Member #33907