Author Topic: Homebrewer innovation : Mass bottle sanitizer  (Read 4723 times)

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Eau Claire WI
    • View Profile
Re: Homebrewer innovation : Mass bottle sanitizer
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 08:33:33 PM »
Actually I like it.
This week I had to clean 150 growlers and this stuff would be a great help.

For 12oz and 23oz bottle Morebeer is selling something similar:

http://morebeer.com/view_product/7271/102303/Rinsing_Sparging_Base

with bottle holder:

http://morebeer.com/view_product/7272/102303/Bottle_Rack_For_CE970
Na Zdravie

On Tap At The TapRoom:
Bohemian Pilsner
Bohemian Dark Lager
Smoked Bock
MaiBock
American Brown Ale
Marzen
Root beer

Offline nyakavt

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 07:06:40 AM »
These are conceptually like little landscape irrigation systems.  Similarly, all you need to do is design the laterals in a looped configuration as opposed to having several distal ends that will always have emitters with less pressure than those closer to the source.  Simply connect the end pieces with tees and a couple 90 degree elbows to create a continuous loop around the emitters. The pressure will equalize and it will perform much more as you intended. 
That said, man that's a lot of work compared to a dishwasher or starsan/bottle tree. But hey, sometimes it's about the process,  right?  ;) 

Now that you put it that way, it makes perfect sense.  I never thought about closing the loops.  Thanks, that helps a lot.

For sanitizing, yeah this seems like a waste of time, especially compared with just using a hand sprayer and hanging on a bottle tree.  But for cleaning, it would be great to have something so I didn't have to break out the bottle brush.  During the last mass cleaning I had to use the brush on about 40% of the bottles to get them sparkling, even after an oxyclean soak.  Anybody have suggestions on this front?  Most of my bottles are pretty nasty and don't get rinsed right after emptying.

Offline hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 09:45:25 AM »
Anybody have suggestions on this front?  Most of my bottles are pretty nasty and don't get rinsed right after emptying.

Suggestion #1 would be to do something about the above
Joe

Offline Slowbrew

• Senior Brewmaster
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 10:03:34 AM »
You might be able to make loading it easier if you built the frame in a way that allowed you to insert the frame into bottles that are already in a box and then flip the whole thing over and remove the box.  You'd have to mount handles that let you pick it up full and set into the water collection box.  And quick disconnects of some type would probably be needed to make moving the rack in and out easier.

Not a bad design if you only bottle and brew a lot.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline 1vertical

• Brewmaster General
  • [1131.2, 279.6] Apparent Rennerian
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 10:07:06 AM »
 ::)  Thats kind of what I was thinking. It is not my method but someone might appreciate it.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline euge

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 10:37:22 AM »
Anybody have suggestions on this front?  Most of my bottles are pretty nasty and don't get rinsed right after emptying.

I make it a discipline to leave the empties by the sink and either rinse them on the fly or in the morning next day. Really this is the best approach. Then all I have to do is rinse any dust out before sanitizing.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 11:07:14 AM »

I make it a discipline to leave the empties by the sink and either rinse them on the fly or in the morning next day. Really this is the best approach. Then all I have to do is rinse any dust out before sanitizing.

+1  Its too easy to just rinse it quickly after the pour.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 11:29:01 AM »
At the very least, put an inch of water in them.  As long as the sludge stays wet it will rinse out fine the next day.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2012, 11:30:11 AM »
At the very least, put an inch of water in them.  As long as the sludge stays wet it will rinse out fine the next day.

Exactly!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline mtnrockhopper

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2012, 11:33:05 AM »
kewl, but why not just run the bottles through a dishwasher?

If you want to make sure to spray sanitizer INSIDE each bottle, a dishwasher won't work. The neck of a bottle is a small target to hit with the spray from a dishwasher arm.
Jimmy K

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup when the old president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP: B0958

Offline dzlater

• Brewer
  • New Jersey
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2012, 02:27:06 PM »
I have one of those bottle washers that screw on to the faucet and blast a jet of water.
Always worked for me.
Blast the bottle with hot water and drop it in a bucket of sanitizer

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2012, 03:41:14 PM »

That's all I ever do. Rinse after pour, into the dish drainer, store upside down in the box, santize and fill.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline nyakavt

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2012, 08:11:14 AM »

Yeah, that doesn't do much for the 500 or so that are sitting in the attic and have already been abused  ;D  Most of these were dirtied back before I started kegging and at a tailgate, so no running water.  I'd be lucky to just get most of the empties back.  They probably would have been fine if cleaned the next day, but hey if I wasn't lazy we wouldn't be having this conversation  ;)  Now they have a nice dried on layer of sludge on the bottom.  I wonder if it's less effort to remove labels from new bottles or clean the old de-labeled ones?

Offline Slowbrew

• Senior Brewmaster
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2012, 10:10:50 AM »
When I bottled all my beer I found a good long soak in Straight-A or PBW (both hot to start with) always make getting the nasty leftovers out.  And by "long soak" I mean days, not hours.  I'd stuff any bad ones in buckets on Sunday and not touch them until the next Saturday.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline 1vertical

• Brewmaster General
  • [1131.2, 279.6] Apparent Rennerian
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2012, 10:16:07 AM »
you know, at SOME point, the old bottle is Fin....and it is time to start fresh.  :o
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.