Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Weyermann Abbey Malt  (Read 7352 times)

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Weyermann Abbey Malt
« on: January 12, 2012, 09:56:25 am »
I was doing some research for Bru'n Water and stumbled on Weyermann Abbey malt.  It seems to be an odd semi-Base, semi-Crystal malt with a color rating of up to 19L.  Here is the description from their specification sheet:

High degree of modification of both proteins and starches. Excellent friability. Low β-
glucan values. Highly acidic. Highly malt-aromatic. Adds deep-amber to red-brown color,
maltiness, body, and mouthfeel to finished beer. Promotes flavor stability.

I also followed up with Weyermann's Quality Manager, Andreas Ricther and this was his response.

Weyermann® Abbey Malt is a Specialty Malt produced on a kiln.
Due to a unique germination and kilning regime we reach the special characteristics of this product.
The enzymatic activity is low to medium. That means this malt requires mashing and enzymatic active base malt.

By the description from the spec sheet, the comment that its 'highly acidic' suggests that it does have some Crystal malt character.  Crystal malts are quite acidic by nature.  Andreas' comment that it has some enzymatic activity differs from the typical Crystal malt though.  But, it still requires mashing (apparently with an active base malt to supply some extra enzymes).  This has a pretty dark color rating for a base malt.  

Has anyone used this malt?  I could not find information on it from this forum or the Homebrew Talk forum.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 09:59:29 am by mabrungard »
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Weyermann Abbey Malt
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 03:01:45 pm »
Martin, I think I recall somebody on the Northern Brewer forum using it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline justenpelton

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 01:50:25 pm »
I have been very interested in trying this malt, I just purchased a 55lb bag and plan on using it in a weizenbock that I am brewing tomorrow.  My plan is to only use about 5-10% and cut back on the munich malt.  It sounds like a nice malt to add complexity to a grain bill?  I can let you know the results in a few weeks.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 02:09:05 pm »
A bit of info here...

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87823&start=0&hilit=weyermann+abbey+malt

someone says that the abbey malt is Weyermann's version of Dingemann aromatic.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 05:09:03 pm »
A bit of info here...

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87823&start=0&hilit=weyermann+abbey+malt

someone says that the abbey malt is Weyermann's version of Dingemann aromatic.

I always thought that Weyermann's melanoidin was the same/similar to Dingemann's aromatic.